is it worth it buying the applecare to extend the warranty to 3 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemoon, Aug 6, 2004.

1. bluemoon macrumors member

my last experience with a pc laptop was that i go to the repairman 3-4 times a year for 3 years, i changed my reflector in my LCD like 4 times...so basically... i am afraid of that happening again. so just wanna noe is it worth it to get the applecare since it only covers manufacture defects? would defects come out within the first year of usuage?

2. jane doe macrumors 6502

The AppleCare is worth the money. The hardware coverage is good but for new users or new software the phone support is more then worth it.

3. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Agreed, AppleCare is worth every penny. I wouldn't buy a new Apple system without it.

4. Zaty macrumors 65816

It's definitely worth the money for a laptop. I don't know if I would buy it for a desktop, though.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I second this. Murphy's Law appears to apply heavily to computers.

6. bluemoon thread starter macrumors member

woah..thanks for the fast response... u ppl are great.... :D

7. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I find that you don't really need it, as you already have 1 year included. However, you may want to pick up some kind of insurance (not warranty) for accidents.

8. mac_gal macrumors member

Can you still buy AppleCare if your computer is less than a year old?

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yes, as long as it's still under the first year warranty.

10. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I believe that as long as I buy AppleCare I will never need it. So I budget that in the price and never have to worry. As long my G5 knows it's covered, it purrs like a cat.

I also got Apple for my iPod. I think the battery replacement is worth that much.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would also never be without AppleCare. You just never know when it might be needed. I agree that the online is also very helpful.

12. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I don't know whether I find the phone support aspect of Applecare to be useful. No offense to people with foreign accents, but for iPod support, I have had some terrible experience and both times, ended up going into Apple store or asking questions here and there to get it fixed. A lot of times, they don't seem to understand the issues that I explain over and over again, and I find their explanation to be difficult to understand and find myself asking them to repeat. The phone support for Apple comes out of India when I called in a few times for technical support. I have never gotten a representative from US side or someone fluent in the English language with clearly spoken voice.

I am going to get the Applecare for my PB, but chances are I will be selling the PB in less than a year to get the next gen PB. Now that I know Mac, I know I will be purchasing PBs.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is a direct consequence of U.S. companies outsourcing to foreign countries. But at the same time, if it was outsourced to the South, I couldn't understand some backwoods-good-old-boy dialect any more then I could undertand a cockney-british accent or trans-eurasian accent over the phone, and hell, I've lived in the south for 15 years! :) Y'all cumbaak neigh-ow, hear?

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Don' t be Applecare at the time of purchase. Wait 360 days and ask yourself if you still love the machine. If yes, call up Apple and get the Applecare 2 year extension. Simple - and you save money up front.

15. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Hey, I resemble that statement. ;)

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It is definitely worth it. I upgraded my 15" iMac to the 17" iMac when it was introduced Feb '03....as the one year date approached for me to buy AppleCare I debated it and finally did buy it.......less than a month after that the SuperDrive went out and my LCD screen needed replaced d/t warping. AppleCare covered this. I had zero problems with the iMac up until that........so you never know. It is definitely worth a few hundred dollars to guarantee that you will not have to spend a thousand dollars anytime during that 3 year period.

17. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I must be the one person that doesn't recommend AppleCare. Wow!

My iBook is a Rev. A 500 Mhz IceBook that just turned 3 years old. I didn't purchase AppleCare, even though it was a Rev. A, and I never had a single problem. My Brother's 17" iMac will turn 2 at Christmas, and we've never had a problem with it.

Personally I think extended warranties are a waste of money. All I read and see in the news always recommends against purchasing an extended warranty.

AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. So if you drop your laptop, or rip the modem cord or ethernet cord out too hard, or you "overuse" (as Apple put it to a friend) the headphone jack so much that it breaks, you will have to pay for those repairs.

18. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

This would've helped me...

After replacing the CPUs in my Dual 1.25 after only 18 months of use ($650), I wish that I would have opted for AppleCare.

Could've used the $400 difference toward a new Dual 2.5 Liquifier... :eek:

Oh well...

Read these posts; I'm sure you'll make the right decision...

Megasignal

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Like all "insurance", it's a gamble! I think the odds are against you that it will be worth it....at least as far as repairing failed hardware.

The customer who buys AppleCare is gambling that his hardware will in fact have a pricey failure in the 2nd or 3rd year.

Myself, I've never had a hardware failure that happened during the 2nd or 3rd year, although I have had them in the 1st and 4th though!! The cost of those uncovered 4th year repairs were relatively small (hard drives and dead mice). For me, buying AppleCare would have amounted to a costly waste of money after buying several computers that never broke down.

of course YOURS may be the machine to fall part on the day after the 1 year warrently runs out......................LOL

20. Pomme macrumors member

For me, the Apple Care is worth every penny, if only for the peace of mind it gives me. I'm on a brand new iBook, and it's the first computer I've ever owned myself. I'm going to be away from home for the next four years, on a limited income, while I attend school. I don't want to worry about anything going wrong! So long as I'm careful--and I am--I don't think I should have to worry about accidental damage.

I bought Apple Care when I bought my 'Book. (I'm afraid I would have forgotten to get it if I waited until the year marker approached!) Yes, it's pricey. But it'll put you at ease knowing you've got that coverage. It's worth it just for that.

21. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unless the policy has changed recently, no. Seems odd....