Is it worth it buying this used Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by etorres777, Aug 22, 2004.

1. etorres777 macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2004
    El Paso, Texas, U. S. A.
    In my local newspaper I saw, this is exactly what they say:

Ad #1: iMac 500 mHz processor, 500 MB Ram, and CD Burner. Abo. $300.00

Ad #2: Mac G-3, beige desktop 266 mHz, 19" monitor and UMAX Astra 2200 scanner, and zip drive. $175.00

Are any of these worth for what they say they have and how much they want? That's all the information I have, please post from your knowledge. Thanks in advance again. :D
  2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Depends on what you want to do.

If you are looking for normal day to day tasks, then yes they will do just nicely (I would go with the iMac).

If you are trying to do heavy graphical work, then absolutly not.

3. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    the imac 500 is a pretty good price point. but you may get a powermac G4 for a little more then that on eBay. i dont trust anything thats beige, but the monitor might be enough to warrant that $175
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Just call them up and say I will give you $200 cash right now for the iMac. If they don't like it then bargan them to $250 but call soon before someone else does!
  5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'd avoid the beige if this is going to be your only Mac. It has no USB or Firewire but it does have the old serial connectors so if you wanted to use a printer or modem you'd have a difficult time getting parts.

The iMac is workable, but it depends on what you want to do with the computer. Email, web, word processing, etc will be great on the iMac. Most thing that most people do will be great on that iMac.