Is it worth it? iPod Photo Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fener, Nov 2, 2004.

1. fener macrumors regular

I am a proud owner of several iPod now. (Even though I don't personally use them all. Gave them to others. What? As gifts of course :D)

I've used iPod Mini, 3G 15 GB, 3G 20 GB, 4G 20 GB and 40 GB iPods.

I do have a 3G 15 GB and a 4G 20 GB with me, now.

I am planning to put these babies on ebay tomorrow, or sometime soon, and buy a 60 GB iPod Photo, as I have a huge huge library.

Since people have started to receive their new iPod Photos, is it worth upgrading? I will receive around $350 for my 3G and 4G iPods. Do you think spending extra 300 bucks will be better off than having 3G and/or 4G?

Would appreciate if new proud owners of iPod Photo can post some feedback. All others are welcome, too. ;)

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

IMO no. The colour screen is cool...but not $300 more cooler. I just bought a 40gb 4G iPod in auguest and I couldn't be happier with it. It does exaclty what it needs to...plays all my music.

I think 2-3 years from now when the colour screen is standard option and cost current iPod prices I would consider upgrading just cuz mine will be due for a replacement. But at the current time I'd say wait.

But that's just me.

3. goodwill macrumors regular

Until the ipod can take pictures, i dont think paying a lot of benjamins for it is worth it.

4. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Yes - absolutely

I have used a 3G 15GB and a 4G 20GB. Just got the 60GB iPod photo. Amazing! I think it is absolutely worth it if you can spare the money.

What I like about it:
    1. More storage space. My current music collection is about 35GB and growing.
    2. Color screen - so much better to look at
    3. Ability to carry my photos around to show to people - I actually do this very often and now I don't have to lug my PBook around.
    4. Ability to display album art while playing songs. This is absolutely great when listening to music while driving or in my office. I really like this feature because it adds a visual component to the music you are listening to. Much like displaying the case of a CD being played. Ofcourse it does not matter much if you just listen to music while walking around.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I have a 20 GB 3G iPod, my iPod Photo is on the way, got yesterday the delivery confirmation and hope to get it by friday, latest monday next week. it's worth every €, more capacity since my library will grow up in the next days (Still have to rip some old music DVDs) and color and photos and artwork and... (Long list)... the 20 GB is going to ebay.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't think it TAKES pictures, only shows them.

It's NOT $300 more. It's $100 more. The 40 gig 4G iPod is $399, the iPod Photo 40 gig is $499.

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Oops I was actually going with what's on the canadian website but I was still wrong.

40gb iPod $569
    40gb iPod Photo $679

So it's only $100...my bad :eek:

8. iEric macrumors 6502a

That's exactly how I feel. Props. LOL

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I think it's worth it. I received my 40GB iPod Photo yesterday. I had to pay about $125/difference b/t that and what I sold my 4G 40GB iPod for. I love this new iPod. The color screen is great. There was also 2 small Apple stickers included (I've always gotten 1 with my computers but never with an iPod).

10. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

depends

depends on your priorities, i guess. it sounds like you're an iPod-poweruser, so my guess is that it will bug the crap out of you not to have such a cool upgrade (i know the feeling well).

it was absolutely worth the $$ for me. i was replacing a 2g/20GB that was packed full, backlight was broken (dropped one too many times), and had the 1st rev of the touch-scrollwheel which worked much better w/ a finger than my thumb (??). i've added a lot of cool music to my collection lately & i hate shuffling music in & out of that "iPod playlist" and i hate that i had lost all my playlists.

the color screen is beautiful (hmmm, anyone know if it shows contacts' thumbnails?). i've been so busy that i haven't gotten a chance to put any photos on it as of yet.

but, you have a pretty new ipod already. it's tough coughing up the extra cash so soon. i forced myself to wait for a color screen version (that 4th gen release was TOUGH)...

11. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I don't think it’s worth it at all. But then again that’s just my opinion.

*Colour screen; ok its cool, but what possible advantages is colour over the old greyscale? It doesn't make the music sound any better!

*Ability to view thousands of photos... don't really need it, would be nice, but its just not necessary.

* Better battery life - Fantastic. 15 hours of playback

And thats it! Not much of an upgrade. More of an "uplift" of sorts just to try and squeeze money out of people me thinks. £140 extra for 3 hours more battery life, colour screen and ability to view photos!?, even when I can hold just as many photos on my iPod as it now, just not view them?! Save your money!

I like the idea of a 60GB iPod though. I wouldn't want all the eye candy that the current version has and at £359 for just the 40gb is just too much.

If apple released a 60GB iPod without the photo option (colour screen etc) but had the better battery life, I’d buy it as soon as it was available.

It would be the ultimate iPod.

13. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I hope you're not looking at album art while you're driving... ;)

14. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

please no

please no ipod that takes pictures please no

15. verces macrumors member

For all those nay-sayers...

If you loved your iPods.
    If you still love them.
    But you want the best out of all of them
    If that extra money means the best MP3 music player in the world.
    If you are true iPod fan
    If you enjoy buying from Apple.
    If you cherish each and every buying experience
    If you ever thought the "Opening" of the iPod box was anything near "heavenly"
    If you want to enjoy the notion of "I have the new iPod Photo"
    If you feel jealous of others getting their iPod Photos
    If you somehow want to contribute the iPod world even more
    If you love your iPod

Buy it.

(The new iPod Photo for SIXTY GIGABYTES for only $599. Get online, buy from eBay(doubt that), go to a shopping mall, visit the Apple Center, or a Apple Store near you, or for the ultimate experience, buy it in London, or even at New York SoHo. Enjoy iPod. For life.)

16. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

- contacts, calendar, games don't really help my ability to listen to music either, should apple strip those off too? my phone doesn't NEED a camera, IM, games, etc for me to talk to someone, but they're kinda cool. the iPod is a gadget. as long as it doesn't INTERFERE w/ me listening to music, the more cool stuff they put on there the better as far as i'm concerened.

??!? less features = "ultimate ipod"? i can appreciate the fact that you don't want to put photos on your ipod, but why would you add a color screen to it and then take away an obvious benefit of having it there?
    "yeah, i want that new high-def, widescreen TV, but leave off the cable & DVD player for me, thanks. i'm just going to use rabbit ears, i'm just watching TV"

17. pcpacker macrumors member

Wow, the only thing I love that much is my wife and children! :) I really need one of these ipod photos.

18. goodwill macrumors regular

Exactly.

A lower price would be ideal. However, I am not a nay-sayer, but I will say that I think for those who doubt the potential of the ipod/photo, they will be impressed with the demand for this despite the price.

How many of and possibly, how many of still, moaned about the price of the mini ipod and even back in the day, the ipod. Then all of a sudden comes the 4th quarter and no one could get their hands on an ipod and when the mini was released you couldnt get one shipped within a reasonable amount of time until about 2 months ago. I have faith Apple surely banks, but knows what they are doing as far as price control regarding the ipod/photo.

19. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Of course they shouldn't get rid of them!!!!
    They have always been there and always will be but can you justify paying £140 MORE for an option that is arguably less important than those stated above? Maybe you can, if so, fair enough. I'm just posting my opinion.

The colour screen is "kinda cool" OK, wouldn't really need it (sorry, i dont think i was clear on my previous post, i ment i didnt need it), most greyscale stuff these days are just feckin calulators. Just because its in colour doesn't mean I’d need to few photos on it!
    What about the current apps on the iPod? Far sharper than before.

Don't get me started on bloody mobile phones.. I've just bought a Motorola V3.. (Amazing phone, Quad band and everything :D )

I'd like to see apple concentrate on better sound output for the iPod. Gapless playback would make me veeeeeryyyy happy but im in the minority of people. for now I'm happy with the iPod that i have. Less is more :p

I don’t care for the iPod Photo. Where's the harm in that?

20. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

yes, but there should be a way to load picts directly from a digicam onto the ipod. AND be able to view them right away, as opposed to having to go through a pc. That would be useful.

21. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

Apple is screwing you all over. While everyone has video players apple shoots out photo player with a ?2"? screen...WTF is that. Apple is really trying to drain all the money the possibly can with the ipod, they sell a bunch of these photo players, then they ll make the video players and everyone will have to buy an ipod all over again.

Now i like my ipod alot but apple has flood the market and my "Ferarri" has turned in a "Honda Civic" if you now what i mean. It its not because my ipod is now "old". Some people might argue that its good apple is makeing s*** loads of money but weres is this money going i ask....obviously not in their underpowered over priced laptop line wich BTW im wating on to buy an ibook.
    Comon apple put some effort back into your computers.

22. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

amen brother - it's too obvious to be true yet Apple missed it out - and the processor has the horsepower to do the thumbnail generation, so there is no compelling deal breaker here - just gotta wait and hope for an update to implement this. :(

23. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

WHAT are you talking about? Apple hasn't 'flooded' the market, nor has it dumbed down the iPod. Apple has incrementally added features and made improvements to the iPod. And it still carries a hefty premium over other players. Just because Apple owns the market (as they have from the beginning) and everyone wants one doesn't mean that they've been compromising quality to sell it to the masses.

As for features, the iPod has NEVER been the leader in features. From the beginning, other players have had more extras like radio, recording, video, etc. The iPod has dominated its market because of the design, ease of use, tight integration with iTunes, and styling.

Video will eventually make its way to the iPod, but ONLY when there is sufficient level of video content that the masses are dealing with. As far as I know, Apple is the only one who's integrated music videos and movie trailers into its music store. So obviously, they're making video available where it makes sense. I can see eventually when people buy-download video content like they do now with music, Apple will add that feature to the iPod.

24. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

hey, as long as you enjoy your Civic, that's alright. i'll get every cent worth of satisfaction out of my $600 that i just shelled out for my new ipod.

now if you would kindly get out of the left lane, my Ferrari & i need to pass...

25. St Soichiro macrumors regular

I drive a beat up 99 Honda Civic but use a new 60GB iPod photo to listen to my music. You've got to keep your priorities straight. :D :D :D