Is it worth it to get WoW now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SandersHokie, Oct 8, 2006.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I know it has been out for a while but I was thinking about getting it. Saw some friends play it and was really impressed. My question, is it worth it to get for Mac now?

thanks!

2. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

why wouldn't it be? i would wait a bit longer though. the expansion is going to come out so places like BestBuy will probably have bundle deals.

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm pretty new to WoW but the hype seems awesome. When will the expansion come out? thanks

4. Miguey macrumors 6502

yeah its really worth it, especially since its only 20 bucks now...

5. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

if I was to get WoW now, when the new expansion come out, how would that work? When I installed the new expansion would it keep my stats of my character from Wow? thanks. I've never played WoW so I'm pretty excited.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The expansion is an upgrade, you'll keep all your existing characters.

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

As of right now it's slated to come out the 28th of November, but I believe it's not final.

8. anshod macrumors newbie

Buy the game and enjoy the experience!

I would not wait for the expansion considering blizzard is always late with their game releases

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

IMHO it'll still be worth buying WoW years from now. It's a fantastic game, treat yourself and start enjoying it!

10. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

thats just what all the stores are saying. Blizzard never actually gave any official release date.

11. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

It's definitely still worth buying WoW now - I bought it last month and am really enjoying it. I wouldn't bother waiting for the expansion - the majority of the game will play exactly the same with or without it. I believe that much of the content in the expansion is for higher levels anyway, so if you start playing now, you could be ready for it whenever it is released.

12. kparvez macrumors member

Buy now and play now

If you buy now and start playing, by the time the expansion rolls out, you could have a character at lvl 60. Or you could wait til the expansion and then level up a blood elf/dranaei (paladin/shaman) and be in hot demand in raids and groups for the novelty.

13. dwishbone macrumors regular

the game is definitely worth it. your characters can be made and leveled now and will carry over to the expansion if you decide to get it.
    its also been reduced to $20 retail.
    however, you can actually get the game for free if you know someone who plays. tell them to go to "Recruit a Friend" on the official website. they can "recruit" you and you will get a free license code (the same as the CD key you are basically paying your money for). you get to play free for 10 days and then you can purchase an account, which is only your subscription cost.
    you can then burn your installer you downloaded to a DVD for archival purposes or just borrow someone elses install disk if you ever need to reinstall.

the expansion has no official release date. it currently costs 39.99 retail and is estimated to be out in late november or early december. as someone already said here its got a 11/28 release date at most places, but Blizzard has said nothing is official until they say so. there is also a limited edition expansion with alot of extras, but no pricing has been given for that yet.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

+ summat mad like $180 a year :eek: GW FTW!

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I looked into that while I had my trial active and I think you still have to pay the retail price to start your subscription.
    (You still get a month free though).

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd like to know if this is true as well, since you can also buy 10-day passes at Wal-Mart for $1.99

I did think that when I used a "free trial code" I ended up still having to buy the game to add a Retail Activtion Code...

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Exactly! Most of the goodies other than the new races are for characters that are already level 60 and it will take you a while to get there. Find a low population server, create a couple character types and play them to at least level 10 to get a feel for what you like to play, find a guild and then grind your way through the instances to get geared up.

Remember, there's level 60 characters and then there's level 60 characters. The servers are full of people that have leveled to 60 that just farm and PVP, but then there's those of us in established guilds that grind Blackwing Lair, AQ40, and now Naxxramus for the tier 2 and higher gear.

The point I'm trying to make is that the purchase price of the box is incidental to the cost in time and monthly charges you'll incur playing the game. Putting off getting the game serves no purpose. Get playing!

18. dwishbone macrumors regular

i recruited my girlfriend about a week ago. her trial is about to expire so i guess i'll find out. but, nowhere in the documentation that was sent to her does it say it requires a retail key. it says you can use your trial key and just pick up the subscription. guess i'll know for sure soon.

19. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Is this true? I have only seen 60 day prepaid game cards.

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I've never seen them. And if it was true, that means a month would only cost 6 bucks! :D