Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akimoriRyuuji

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I have the MBA and Mini 2. I use both with he weight being on the Mini 2.
You will find many different answers and justifications, but its simply personal preference. Buy the mini 2 and try it out. You should love it. No, it cant replace the MBA and the MBA cant replace the iPad for me. They are 2 very different devices which are very enjoyable in their own right.
Couldn't agree more

yoimrae

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2014
Hong Kong
I also have the MBA 13" and mini 2. I use my MBA mainly for research,programming and some school works(I also use bootcamp for engineering programs that is not available on OS X)that cannot be accomplished on the iPad. YES it is worth it to own a MacBook and iPad.

Reactions: akimoriRyuuji

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I consider the iPad a luxury device. It's not a necessity but a nice to have in certain situations. It's most useful I think on long flights where you've got limited room for a laptop, it doesn't need a stand (so you can still use the tray table for drinks or whatever) and can quickly slip it in to the seat pocket. Unless you're in business, a 15" rMBP is way too big to use in flight.

The iPad is very well conceived and executed in my opinion, it just doesn't do a lot that can't be achieved with other devices. The best thing is probably the iPad Air 2's screen. The colours make everything more lively, including just the good ole web.

I like the look of the new MacBook but I'd prefer a 14" screen and a few extra ports. That would make me get a MacBook over an iPad.

I'm curious about how the graphics in an iPad compare to the integrated graphics in a 13" rMBP or 12' MacBook.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Of course. I purchased my rMBP and my rMini at the same time because I intended to keep my laptop strictly at home while my rMini will be going with me whenever I leave the house. There are different uses for both devices so it definitely makes sense to own both. I use my iPad for reading and gaming when on the go and my laptop for pretty much everything except for gaming.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
There is a place for each device ... I have a loaded iMac 27" 3TB for me to sit at a desk with, a Mac Mini for an entertainment device, a 2011 11" Macbook Air for my wife for her work computer, a 2015 12" Macbook for my work computer. To each their own though ... Between my wife and kids ... we have 2 iPhone 6's (1 5 and 1 5.5) ... 2 iPad Mini's, and 1 iPad Air 2 ... i use them all ... I even have a surface pro 3 in the mix ... there is a place for all of these ...

Reactions: Closingracer

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
I use MBP for work (coding) in combination with iPad Air.

I use the iPad as second screen to look schemas/design/flowchart or documentation or work documents while working on MBP. I like that I can zoom closely and measure image dimensions etc with iPad, it lighten the CPU/Screen load and RAM consumption on MBP.

And when I need a break from the desk I pick up my iPad, sit on a couch to read news, manga, use productivity/todo apps, and sometimes review code (using Coda for iOS).

Of course I use iPad for other things like gaming too, but I want to emphasize iPad works really well for me in combination with MBP in work environment.

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I used to have both and ended up selling the MB. My Air suffices for consumption and games. Bought a cheaper windows Laptop for the times I needed a real computer per se. Eventually I could get a new MacBook and perhaps get away from having a tablet. If the laptops ever came with cellular support..... it'd be done already.

Portability isn't a huge deal. A light weight laptop is very "portable" to me.

Hmmmm.....

I can't believe you don't think a Macbook Air is a real computer! I have been a mac user since 2005 and could never imagine going back to Windows for a "real computer". I use Windows at work and can't stand it.

To the OP: I'm different than most of the responses here. Maybe I'm just old school but iOS or any mobile OS has not clicked with me. I understand OS X and I am comfortable with it. I do not feel like I can use iOS productively to get any work done. I sold my iPad 1 and bought an iPad 2. Then I sold my iPad 2 for an original Mini. Still not satisfied. I will say, it is an excellent e-reader (just don't try to read outside). I've even turned to using a paper planner because typing notes and dates in my iPhone is cumbersome to me. Pull out phone, swipe, type in passcode or use fingerprint, open app and type OR jot note on paper. As I read this I'm sounding old... to each his own I guess.

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
An excellent thread. At one point I had both - a MBP (2010) and iPad (3rd gen). I ended up selling my iPad within a year. I purchased it primarily for reading/annotating PDFs (academic papers), and whilst good at the task, was too heavy and dimensions too awkward to really be comfortable to use for any extended period of time. By the time I also carted around a smart cover, a case, keyboard etc. (for the occasional writing session), I actually found it all a lot more cumbersome than the MBP. Years later, I must admit that I don't miss that iPad at all - it never found a comfortable place in my workflow. That is, until...

One evening I was visiting my parents, saw my sister's mini 1 on the counter. I picked it up and wow, was I impressed with its form factor. I felt that its size, portability and weight really hit the spot for my usage. The smaller screen was certainly a substantial tradeoff, but well worth it in my case. I 'borrowed' it for a few weeks, and found myself using it significantly more than I had ever used my 3rd gen. I was reading, writing, and doing all the things I had envisaged with the 3rd gen. Since returning the mini (she 'borrowed' it back), I have been seriously flirting with the idea of taking the plunge again. I suspect that I will be amongst the first to own the iPad mini 4 when/if it is released in Sept/Oct. Until then, the MBP will press on in all its glory!

Should I take the plunge, I must admit that I am not sure how i'll reconcile my ongoing issue with all the added bulky paraphernalia (a topic that is rarely canvassed in these threads). Being a cheaper 'mini' device, I may very well elect to boldly go where no self-respecting fanboy has gone before - sans a case). There goes the neighbourhood...

It's good that you had a long trial period with the Mini. I say if you're impressed with it then you will definitely use it in your workflow. In my experience, I went from iPad 1 to iPad 2 to iPad Mini and still have no place in my workflow for it. I'm a student and a professional.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I can't believe you don't think a Macbook Air is a real computer! I have been a mac user since 2005 and could never imagine going back to Windows for a "real computer". I use Windows at work and can't stand it.

To the OP: I'm different than most of the responses here. Maybe I'm just old school but iOS or any mobile OS has not clicked with me. I understand OS X and I am comfortable with it. I do not feel like I can use iOS productively to get any work done. I sold my iPad 1 and bought an iPad 2. Then I sold my iPad 2 for an original Mini. Still not satisfied. I will say, it is an excellent e-reader (just don't try to read outside). I've even turned to using a paper planner because typing notes and dates in my iPhone is cumbersome to me. Pull out phone, swipe, type in passcode or use fingerprint, open app and type OR jot note on paper. As I read this I'm sounding old... to each his own I guess.

I don't think you sound old. Each person does need to find what works for them.

I originally felt that it was easier to use paper for notes and a planner. However, this was due to the fact it was what I was already comfortable with. For my notes, I had always taken handwritten notes and until I came across Goodnotes and the Adonit stylus I was unable to find a substitute.

Now that I have been using the Calendar App, I cannot imagine relying on a single paper planner for critical information. This would include contact information, notes I need to refer back to, meetings, and PDFs I want to read.

It is awesome to be able to pick up my iOS device (iPad or iPhone) and access my info anywhere anytime doing any activity. If I am on my MacBook Air, I don't have to pull out my iPhone or iPad. I open the calendar app on my MacBook Air, add the meeting and it is there on all devices. And better yet if I loose my phone, I still have all my data!!!

It is learning and being open to new things. Give new things a try. But as you say, if what your doing works that's all that really matters.

Their interconnected abilities are awesome!

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
For me, yes. I need an actual computer (and a proper file management system) for a lot of the things I do, including work. But the iPad is great for casual browsing, travelling, reading ebooks, etc. Now if it came down to do I NEED the iPad, no, I don't need the iPad like I need a computer. But it is worth having and not redundant IMO.

Master123of

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Germany
For me, yes. I need an actual computer (and a proper file management system) for a lot of the things I do, including work. But the iPad is great for casual browsing, travelling, reading ebooks, etc. Now if it came down to do I NEED the iPad, no, I don't need the iPad like I need a computer. But it is worth having and not redundant IMO.

Same for me. I need the MacBook for programming in work and university. For almost everything else I use my iPad. If I hat to choose one, I would pick my MacBook because it is able to handle every task. The iPad lacks too much features and is a fun luxury addition :)

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
Here's one last thing to consider (well, I'm probably too late to the party), and that is that if you have have an iPad, you can use AirDisplay (or other similar apps) to turn your iPad into an extra display for your laptop (in my case, a 13" Macbook Pro). I just hook it up via USB and I've got a small but helpful external display... It's not perfect, but it does work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.