Is it worth it to spend $500 on ADC Select membership?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsw, Jul 20, 2004.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

All,

I'm thinking of developing Mac software, as opposed to just using my Mac to develop Java software for work. I'm looking into joining Apple's ADC Select, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me justify the $500.

It seems that Select membership now includes one hardware discount, whereas before it only applied when you renewed - am I misreading the site, or do you get the discount the first year?

Aside from that discount - which I likely won't use within the next year, as I have dual-2.0 G5 and don't really need (and cannot afford) more, assuming that I'm too far from Apple to use the compatibility labs, and assuming that I don't really need the latest OS and software betas, at least this year, is there a good reason to get this membership, or should I stick with the free one?

Thanks for any advice!

Joe

2. flanders macrumors member

i think if you're not going to use the hw discount and don't need the software then maybe the free membership is good enough. i do use the hardware discounts and the software seeds are pretty useful. i don't use the compatibility labs (too far away for me), but I do get some use out of the developer support incidents (do you get those w/select?)

3. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently thinking that I'll get the Select membership when I upgrade to a new desktop, as then the savings will sort of compensate for the cost of membership.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

That makes the most sense. You can get great support via the mailing lists AS LONG AS you do not discuss beta or pre-release software. So, as long as its part of the basic OS, or released SDK you are all set.

Of course, you may wish to start toying with Tiger, and the free membership list, that topic is taboo.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, I went for the Panther & Select option last year, and it does include (IIRC) two tech support incidents - though I'm struggling to find a problem to use them on! ;)

6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

yeah, if I'd had a crystal ball, I would've gone for that as well. maybe I'll get it if/when they repeat the deal with Tiger. Of course now that 1 hardware discount comes with the membership, it's no longer the great deal it was then, when the Select membership only got it during a renewal except for the special Panther-related deal.