Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jaden Frost, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Jaden Frost macrumors newbie

Wanting *badly* to make the switch completely to Mac but in a current money crunch. I noticed that this website sells used iBook g3s.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Criteria=OWC+iBook+G3+System+Deals&Manufacturer=&x=0&y=0&title=Apple%20iBook%20G3s%20from%20$199!

My question is this. Is it worth the money to get one of these as my first Mac or should I just save up and get something brand new. Anyone with experience or good insight that can help a newbie with acquiring their first Mac would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Save up and get something refurbished from Apple.

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

i agree, get a refurbbished macbook, next generation.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Another vote for your latter option to save up for something different. I'm not too high on the iBook G3s as they have had various issues (Logic Board) in the past. Again, that's imho, 2¢ and all that.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

depends on what you plan on doing with it. Those are 4 and 5 year old models so you know they're going to run slow compared to just about anything you're currently using. I have a G3 500 ibook and I still use it to take on trips using it for email, web surfing and writing letters and memos. Occassionally I use it to chat on Skype. It's fine for basic stuff but certainly slow compared to my G5 iMac, but it's still useable as a second computer for me. The G3 ibook did have logic board issues but you have to wonder if those that are still working aren't the ones that got good logic boards considering how old they are.

6. Jaden Frost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Unless there is someone with a good argument for buying it, I suppose I'll keep holding out. 3 out of 4 is pretty overwhelming.

Again, I appreciate everything so far.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you are going to get something older, at least get a G4 iBook. I'd still go for a refurb Macbook though. You could check www.smalldog.com and see what they have- I have made several major purchases through them and they are reputable and friendly. They also have some pretty good deals on occasion.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you get a G3 iBook, get an 800 MHz G3 model and up. At least that one came with a 32 MB video card (Nvidia or ATI....I forget). I know the 600 MHz version didn't. Not sure about the 700 MHz models.

However, it's better to get an 800 MHz G4 iBook if you can. At least it has Altivec, which Mac OSX uses. ;) That would be my bare minimum. It will serve your needs much better, I think. My 1 GHz 12" Powerbook lasted me for ages and would still work well for everything I do except my pesky hobby of photography and photo editing. A G4 iBook has very very similar specs. Don't let the word "Power" in the PowerBook fool you. The iBook G4 was almost as good as the 12" PB. :p

9. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

if you dont need a portable go for atleast a G4 the Later G4 Models are super upgradable and will last a long time.

Powermac G4 for desktop
    Macbook for laptop

those are my suggestions hope this helps.

10. sworthy macrumors regular

I second the G4 recommendation - preferably a G4 800 as they are priced low enough for it to make sense. Spend any more and you should just get a refurbed macbook, any less will be an unsatisfying experience.