Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheFallGuy, Aug 31, 2004.

1. TheFallGuy macrumors member

TheFallGuy

Here's the situation. I am in a situation where I can get a used iMac G3 400 with 128 MB RAM and 9.5 GB hard drive, it is the old style that looks like the eMacs. The cost would be $200.

It seems like it is in good condition and I have a friend who has recently upgraded an old iMac to OS X and he can help me out with this. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea or not. And any comments or suggestions would help out. Thanks

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It would work, but as far as it being a good idea? I wouldn't go for it. That computer came out in what... 1999? 2000? $200 isn't much to get a Mac, and that could be good, but don't expect it to be very fast.

Lee Tom

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...$200 is an okay price for that, but whether you should get it or not depends on what you what to do with it. If it's just for surfing the net and a little word processing and other basic stuff it will do okay if you add some more ram to it...but if you are looking to do much more than that you may be disppointed....oh yeah!

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I bought one like this for a friend at a price of $50 dollars i would say don't buy.

5. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

thats not a terrible price (you might be able to get one cheaper on ebay with some shopping)

i have a friend with the exact same computer and it runs OSX fine. it can take a while to do some things, but he just leaves important apps open (like mail). he also has it filled to the brim with music, which hurts virtual memory, obviously.

6. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I'd say yes

I love my G3imac 333 256 6GB!!!HD until this summer and now it's 60 hd

But I had osx, illustrator, photoshop, appleworks, and some games on it and it was beginning to get upset about space.
    When it was upgraded by a friend to 60 I lost the ability to start in 0S9 though.

Question is how long before its terribly outdated? Would $200 be better spent towards investing in something new?
    Brenda

ps a classified in our city had a g3 222 for $100