Is it worth to pay 350 us to see keynote live?

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by Capitanmerloc, Jan 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have used this site since at least 2 years or more and read many of your comments during this time.. this is my first post as I never had a question that was unanswered by someone else!

Now is the time... I will be in San Francisco for holidays... arriving on the 14th night. I thought it could be a good idea to see keynote live and have a look at the new products... then I saw the price for the simplest ticket...

As I'm there with my girlfriend I do not konw if a morning of Apple and 1.5 hours of Steve Jobs are worth 700 dollars... (350 x 2).

If any of you was there before... wel could you give me your reccomandation and advice...

I will be visiting the Apple shop in Cuppertino on the 17th to get some shopping done... that is planned already but the extra money to see Seve live... Well I'm not really sure I should go for it!

Thanks to you all and excellent job to the site owners!!!

2. macrumors G4

Will they not be streaming it to the Apple Store in downtown SF? I know it's not strictly live, but it's a better option than $700 IMO.

3. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I suppose it's a once in a lifetime opportunity (kinda) but only you can decide if it's worth the $$'s.

4. macrumors newbie

Well if there is a streaming in the apple store... for free... then I guess this is the end of the discussion... better to invest 700 us in the new macbook!!! THanks a lot!

5. macrumors G4

Ring ahead and check first. I'd hate for you to turn up and find it an invitation only event :eek:

6. macrumors P6

dukebound85

hells no it aint worth it!

now seeing the rockies in the world series was a once in a lifetime occurance! :)

7. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You got that right!

8. macrumors 6502a

Use the $700 saved by not going to the keynote on the new Apple goodies. Watch the live stream at the Apple Store or do what I did last year --> read the live blog updates and view the keynote video when Apple posts it online.

9. macrumors 65816

chaos86

the only people that pay the $350 are the REAL fanboys and the press, who make way more than $350 back with their stories.

10. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, I'd sooner spend that kinda money to be the first to own the brand-new iPods or iPhones or ultra-portable Mac or whatever they're announcing. Just watch the keynote stream at your leisure.

I've been to enough concerts and live events to be jaded enough to say that the "live" experience just ain't all that great.

11. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Geez, this world is sick... Give it to some charity instead...

12. macrumors newbie

Man, save it for some concerts or sports games if you're into that. Who wants to spend that kind of money to see Steve Jobs monkey around on stage? It's not a soccer game. I didn't think anyone would be so interested in anything but the results. Just tell me what's coming out, when and for how much and let's get it over with :)

13. macrumors 65816

chaos86

Lol. This is ironic to me, because as far as I'm concerned, 22 guys spending 90 minutes to only score zero to three times is a great example of monkeying around.

14. macrumors newbie

Invite your girlfriend to luxuary resort near you instead !

I've been there once, it was scary !

I love Mac's, but the people there belongs to some strange fanatic cult ...

/Tony

-----------------------
    Tony Hansson
    Cognitive Bokföring
    http://www.ct.se/

15. macrumors 601

t0mat0

Imagine -
    in your left hand, you have two tickets to see Jobs speak for an hour
    In the other hand, are 1-2 of what Jobs is going to be announcing. Be it a HDTV AppleTV, monitor, etc.

You can get a good feed 1 minute time lag from here.
    Don't be a fool! (plus, someone might finally be doing a sneaky web tv stream - i'd check the usual suspects out).

16. macrumors regular

Personally, I wouldn't. I didn't even want to spend that much to see Elton John live. But then, I got that ticket via the official fan club for under $100 (and got something like 6th row). For me to pay that kind of money to see some kind of live event it really would have to be something amazing, and even though most of us here are die-hard geeks, a corporate back-patting is not in that league. At least not to me.

I'd go if someone else paid, and there IS a sense of excitement from being in a crowd, especially among fellow die-hard fans (like at the concert, you know which song is the "key" to go up to the stage if you're far enough up front, and there's others where the audience always gets to do the refrain) but $300 is a lot of money.

The concert was a blast, by the way. Worth every penny.

Where's my actual limit for events like this? I'm guessing $150 for the concert and maybe $50 for the Apple event.

17. macrumors newbie

You'll have a hard time carrying that argument.

18. macrumors 68000

I concur

I'm so NOT a sports fan, I can't imagine a bigger waste of MY money than paying out a huge amount to see some end-of-season "playoff" or "series" game.

It's obviously going to be viewable on TV, live, from any number of convenient locations, should I care enough to see it at all.

I have a problem spending $350 to see a Macworld Keynote too ... but if you consider it part of the whole "package" of also viewing all the vendor booths, talking with Mac developers, and attending some of the after-parties people always organize - it doesn't seem like such a "bad" investment anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't have $350 lying around (plus airfare!) to head out to CA to see this event, and my employer doesn't even use Macs - so can't get them to pop for it as a work-related trip. But if I was in the area already and had the time to kill, I might consider $350 to take in the whole experience.

I agree with others who said the *smart* way to handle the Keynote is to do some sort of live blogging or feed back out to the net, or finding a way to get paid for a story write-up on it. Unlike a sporting event, you're viewing something that's not being telecast live, so that has some potential financial value for you. You just have to leverage it.

19. macrumors newbie

Ha. I've had press passes for his keynotes before. You think they pay? No way, man. Free free free.

When I went, I basically got a pass that got me into the same keynote and workshops that would have cost $1500.
    I don't think press can get into those workshops quite as easily now, but still...

Granted, you have to have the qualifications, but it wasn't all that hard.

20. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I'd rather apply the $700 to own whatever cool thing Steve shows us then to see it a few hours early.

21. macrumors 6502

coolant113

man i would totally!!! go that is a Once In A Lifetime experience.. just the thrill of being there live!! is awesome and simply amazing!!! Man GOOO:apple::apple:

22. macrumors 68040

queshy

If I had the opportunity to I would definitely go.

23. macrumors newbie

I do that but loads more than a miserable 350 $... because the world is sick!

24. macrumors 6502

where can i buy the tickets?

25. macrumors 6502a

I really hate Macworld for charging this much for tickets. Then, I don't know how many people they'd have to deal with if it only cost $20. Or, really, it should go to Charity. YOU COULD BUY AN OLPC WITH $400!!!