Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I have the first one, and while it works fine, I could definately use the bigger space of the second. But not the $129 price tag, esp. since other trackpads are so cheap. :rolleyes:

LOL. I put 'mouse' instead of trackpad in the topic! That's what I get for posting early in the morning. Can a mod change that?

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
I have the first one, and while it works fine, I could definately use the bigger space of the second. But not the $129 price tag, esp. since other trackpads are so cheap. :rolleyes:

LOL. I put 'mouse' instead of trackpad in the topic! That's what I get for posting early in the morning. Can a mod change that?

Apple peripherals are very expensive for what you get. You're basically paying for that Apple design, and it's certainly understandable why people choose to do so (as Apple products tend to bring out the OCD in all of us). It really comes down to whether or not the design is worth the premium to you.

In my opinion, of all the Apple peripherals, the original Magic Mouse was the most easily justifiable, as it integrated into OS X in ways that most mice didn't. I'm not a fan of the Magic Mouse 2, mostly because for some inexplicable reason, Apple decided it should only work in El Capitan (which, given that the original Magic Mouse already works fine with the last several OS X releases, they almost had to go out of their way to do).

The "Magic" keyboard is the hardest to justify IMO, as it's not much different from any other generic membrane keyboard (you could get a high-end mechanical keyboard for that price).

I've never used the Magic Trackpad, so I can't really comment on any potential productivity benefits. Again though, it seems awfully expensive for what it is, so it ultimately comes down to whether or not the aesthetics are worth that premium to you.

Reactions: Simche

kjm18

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2014
Hexham, UK
I bought the Magic Mouse 2 when it came out and had for a few days but found it too light after being used to the Magic Mouse 1 so I exchanged it for a Magic Trackpad 2, but since have bought the Logitech MX Master mouse for when I need to use a mouse

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
i've got an external magic trackpad (the original one) and its great. if you have a macbook with a non-force touch trackpad you know what to expect, but it is a bit bigger.

Assuming the new force touch external trackpad is similar to the force touch pad in the current macbook line, i'd go for it.

Last edited:

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Your choice of words ("overpriced") seems to indicate that you've already made up your mind.

Well lets be honest, even online mac enthusiast sites are calling the new peripherals overpriced! The only one that adds anything is the trackpad 2, which adds new options as well as a bigger size, but it's also twice the price of the original trackpad (And that's the original price, for a few months it was found at around $30 on slickdeals).

I've certainly made my mind up on the price, and if I got it at the price I'd probably still think it's overpriced, but if it's more useful then the original... Well I suppose I can eat the cost.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I think it's a bit overpriced but I'm glad I upgraded. The extra space is useful, the force touch works nicely and battery life is very good. I also use a Magic Mouse 1 (mainly for gaming) but can't see the point of upgrading this.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I think it's a bit overpriced but I'm glad I upgraded. The extra space is useful, the force touch works nicely and battery life is very good. I also use a Magic Mouse 1 (mainly for gaming) but can't see the point of upgrading this.

Well I hate the magic mouse 1. Way too cramped for bigger hands

Reactions: ericwn

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I loved the original Magic Mouse with the exception of spotty bluetooth connection to my Mac Pro. The Magic Mouse 2 resolved all bluetooth issues and has been a pleasure to use.

I have a Magic Trackpad but I don't use it nearly as much as my mice. For the times that I do use it, it performs fine I have no complaints. The fact that it works as advertised without any issues is why I see no need to purchase a Magic Trackpad 2.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
the magic mouse 2 is not $129 its $79 get ur faxes straight

Faxes point to a Magic Trackpad 2.
[doublepost=1454873459][/doublepost]as others have said, get it , use it, and decide for yourself. That is what the apple 14 returns are for.

Reactions: Oldmanmac

iceman42

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Faxes point to a Magic Trackpad 2.
[doublepost=1454873459][/doublepost]as others have said, get it , use it, and decide for yourself. That is what the apple 14 returns are for.
when he first wrote it he said magic mouse 2 then he changed it to what he was trying to say

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have the 1st gen trackpads and never used them past the first 1-2 months I owned them.
Actually just came across them in a cabinet yesterday. But I chose the Magic Trackpad when I ordered my new iMac and I haven't even connected my Razer mouse to the computer yet. It hasn't been over a week yet with the mTrackpad but I do like this one much better than the previous model.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well lets be honest, even online mac enthusiast sites are calling the new peripherals overpriced! The only one that adds anything is the trackpad 2, which adds new options as well as a bigger size, but it's also twice the price of the original trackpad (And that's the original price, for a few months it was found at around $30 on slickdeals).

I've certainly made my mind up on the price, and if I got it at the price I'd probably still think it's overpriced, but if it's more useful then the original... Well I suppose I can eat the cost.

The overprice is because the larger size and intergraded battery! Plus the box will now include the Lightning cable for charging!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I bought the original Magic Trackpad about 2 years ago and quickly returned it. Though massive, dragging long distances wasn't great. But the biggest issue was that it was at too sharp of an angle. I couldn't' rest my fingers on the table or mouse like I did with the Magic Mouse so you had to hover your fingers over it which quickly caused wrist fatigue. I couldn't stand it as a primary input device and couldn't' justify an $80 device just for swipes and zooms.

I've used the Magic Mouse for 5 years and am one of the few people who love it, but the new MT caught my eye because (1) it was huge, (2) had Force Touch and (3) was flatter. I picked one up at Christmas for the extended return policy as an experiment and fell in love with it. I don't really see why such a small angle shift should make a difference, but it did. I have no wrist issues when using it and it's massive surface means I have plenty of room for gestures and dragging. I've never when off the edge of the device even with dual monitors, but that may be partially related to my tracking speed. It's nicer than the Magic Mouse in the respect that I don't have to have space to move a device around. I was constantly running off my mouse pad (my magic mouse didn't "glide" well so I needed one) and i was constantly bumping it into things on my cluttered desk forcing me to lift up the mouse and move it. Plus, the mouse pad took up a lot of room and was always in the way. Not a huge deal, but a nuisance. My MacBook stays in clamshell mode for 80% of it's use so I missed out on some of the trackpads gestures. I used Better Touch Tool to turn the magic mouse into an amazing device, but i still didn't have the zoom function.

Well after trying it out for a few days I fell in love with it (and I've never really cared for trackpads in the past). The click on this device is much softer and consistent. I like the haptic feedback better than the physical click down of the old trackpads and Force Touch has been helpful for previewing links and quick look. I've now retired my Magic Mouse to special occasions when I'm working heavily with photos, intensely with spreadsheets, or doing something incredibly click-and-drag intensive that doesn't come up in ordinary use (uploading 60 files to my schools Canvas from a few dozen folders on my Mac). I've used my MM maybe 3 times this month. It sounds like a hassle to have a few occasions where you still want a mouse (at least, it did to me), but to be honest, it rarely comes up. I honestly can't believe how accustomed I've become to using it almost full time. There is an adjustment period and sometimes it still feels a little awkward (I mean I'm going on 2 months of trackpad use after 5 solid years of Magic Mouse), but I find it is much more fluid/pleasing to swipe between desktops and apps and invoke Mission Control on this massive touch surface than it was with my MM and BTT. What's funny is that my MacBook Pro doesn't have the Force Touch/Click trackpad and now I can't stand using it during that 20% of the time I'm at school and not in clamshell mode. The MacBook Pro trackpad feels so hard and limiting. :)

Sorry for the rant, but I was thinking of making a thread on this. It is pricy in my opinion, but worth the $129 for me. If it has caught your eye, I recommend picking one up and giving it a week. Also, I never liked "three finger drag" because I was used to three finger swipes in Lion and never changed it. It took and adjustment to move from "Double Tap without drag lock" to "Three finger drag" but I'm glad I did. It really is handy (though I wish I could set it as four-finger drag and three-finger swipe between spaces). I will also add that using three finger drag makes spreadsheet use almost as good as a mouse. In fact, not one of my 3 MM usages in this past month was for spreadsheets (and I work with a lot of spreadsheets). Once you adjust, the trackpad is an extremely efficient device, though I am glad that i have my MM in a drawer just in case.

EDIT: One other thing. The MT2 has a story of matte finish, so it doesn't get dirty as rapidly as my old Magic Mouse did, which required me wiping the surface free of smudge or grime a few times a week.

Reactions: harriska2

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The overprice is because the larger size and intergraded battery! Plus the box will now include the Lightning cable for charging!

The price is over double here. Buying a lightning cable and battery set with charger wouldn't come close to the cost difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.