Is iTunes capable of handling huge libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrVegas, Jun 4, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I have been ripping MP3's onto my Windows computer for several years. I currently have about 30,000 songs which takes up about 150 Gigs.

Will this many songs choke iTunes? Is there another Mac application that is better at handling large libraries?

I just bought a G5 with twin 2.0 processors. I only have 512 MB ram and plan to upgrade to 1 gig or 1.5 gig if thats possible.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Version 2 of iTunes had a 32.000 song limit, but with 4.x I don't think there's a limit (that you have to worry about).

3. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

nope. no issues.

I have over 30k no problem.

But yes, ram and processor speed are helpful at this point.

4. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

i have 120Gbs and it works fine. they are in an external hd that sometimes i use with a G4 1.33 with 768mb and sometimes with a PC with a pIII with only 256mb of memory without any problems.

When i import the library for the first time (to clean it because itunes doens't monitor folders which sucks) it does take a while to import.

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Eh?! I thought iTunes manages all folders?!

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I thought so as well. If I change names of songs, genres, artist, etc. the folder in the iTunes music folder change as well. But you have to enable that feature through the iTunes preferences. Not sure if that's what javiercr was referring to.