Is iTunes "Genre" Field Editable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PrometheusG5, Oct 5, 2004.

1. PrometheusG5 macrumors member

Is the "Genre" field an editable list? There are some genres in there that I never use, and I'd like to trim unused ones out.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can add new genres by typing them directly into the box, but I don't know how to get rid of unused ones. However, since you can add to it, there must be a file somewhere on the system that tracks what is listed, if you can find that file then you'll be able to edit the list.

3. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

As far as I know, the genres list consists of all genres in your library. For example if you want to get rid of one name, delete or rename all tracks with that genre name... right?

4. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Stike is correct. I have never seen a genre listen unless there were songs that had that genre in their "info."

Each genre listed must have at list one song in that genre. So to remove a genre, just change the genre of each song in there. You can select all the songs within a genre and change them at the same time as well (for example, changing "rock and roll" to "rock" to combine the two genres).

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think I now what you mean. There are many preset genres and if you add a genre and delete that song, the genre still apprears in the list even though no song has this genre as it's listed genre. Did I get that right?

If so, the list is stored in:
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
    Its a binary file and you really have to know what you are doing to edit it. I'd just deal with it.

6. PrometheusG5 thread starter macrumors member

I think that is what is trying to be achieved. For example, iTunes out of the box has a whole list of genres. You can add to them, but even if there are no tracks in your library with the genre, it is still present. So, I'd like to remove the unnecessary genres. (BTW, this is the name of the original poster, Prometheus. I had to change names.)

7. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Well I'm sorry I misunderstood you, I've just never noticed that with iTunes before. Just out of curiosity, what genres in particular are "preset" that won't go away?

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Get info of any song and change the genre. You'll see a list of many genres that you probably don't use.