Is iTV really just an aspect of an updated Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

We have not heard to much about the mini recently and only a couple of people have discussed its update chances, but I was thinking about this today and had an interesting thought. Last year, and again this year (sort of), we have heard about Apple making some sort of television. While I really do not think this is likely at all, it does lend itself when you think about the whole picture to the notion that the iTV, which looks quite similar to the Mini is really an aspect of a revamped mini intended to focus on the home entertainment/computing side. We have seen all the threads about combining a mini with a plasma/lcd and similarly seen all the threads about why people wish iTV could have more functionality, not to mention the recent postings about a version of osx running on iTV. Maybe the answer is a new mini, maybe not, but it's not completely out of the realm.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I think I would consider it a compliment to the mini before I would call it an updated version. I see the two products working hand in hand.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I see it as more of an updated Airport Express. Video instead of audio. Possibly 802.11n.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

ditto.

this is definitely more like an airport express, no where near a mini.

they may look close, but they are worlds apart.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The fact that the cheapest Mini sells for double the price of the iTV and yo can get a loaded Mini for three times the price of iTV, is a pretty good indicator of how far apart they are...

I sure hope we find out more on Tuesday!

B

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I like this idea, well said. I could more readily see this route and functionality.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I tend to agree with this.

I will be curious as to see the complete feature set of the iTV.

8. mccldwll macrumors 65816

But possibly complement/easy integration with a mini (or headless pizza box imac, essentially a beefed up mini).