Is iTV too high end?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GFLPraxis, Sep 13, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm looking at the ports on this thing and it's a bit over the top. HDMI, Component, no RF or composite?

I don't have an HDTV- not one TV in my house has HDMI or component. Furthermore, every movie on iTunes is in standard definition, no higher quality than a DVD. The ONLY thing you'd need HD connectors for are photo displays.

Why don't they supply a way to hook this up to SDTV's? We've got a 54" rear projection SDTV upstairs I'd love to hook an iTV to.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you don't have reasonably up to date gear then Steve isn't thinking about you ;) :p

To my mind the iTV's proposed price is very cheap for what it is. I can toss out the Mini or use it as a dedicated ripping station as the function of the iTV is almost literally all I use the Mini for.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

"reasonably up to date"? The majority of households do not have HDTV's, and since none of the content that iTunes store provides is HD, I don't see why it has to be exclusively for HDTVs...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They may support S-video and composite through means of dongles as they do with the Macs. But overall I think Apple is making it quite clear that this is not aimed at the low end.

B

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The fact of the matter is that within 2 years all SDTVs will be outdated. Apple has never been friendly to technologies that are on their way out, and they're not likely to start now. IMO, one of the biggest reasons that they're moving away from old connection standards is because everything Apple offers and all new TV is widescreen. Widescreen looks like crap on a normal TV, which coincidently are the only TVs that require composite or s-video for connections.

Honestly speaking, if you can afford to buy $300 hookups from your computer to a TV then you can afford an EDTV or HDTV with component connections... you're going to be forced to anyway.

6. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I think Apple is on the right track with this.

1. HDTVs prices are falling rapidly with another round or pre and post xmas drops on the horizon. You can get 50" plasmas for $2k and 32" lcds for $700.

2. As a poster noted above, it is a cheaper option than Mac Mini which alot use for this exact role.