Is iWork what I'm looking for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveP, Sep 6, 2005.

1. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    I'm a college student just starting to write my thesis. Microsoft Word would the obvious choice of which program to use, but I will be dealing with a lot of images and I hate using Word with images. I know how to do it, but I always seem to have weird issues. Anyways, would Pages perhaps be better suited? I ask this because the vibe I've picked up about Pages is that is not really a word processor per se and more of a psuedo-desktop publisher. So would Pages be good for lots of text, lots of diagrams/figures, but only a little formatting? Any insights would be appreciated before I drop $60 for iWork (I wouldn't really care about Keynote though).
  2. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Before you spend anything don't both have 30day trials? That would seem like a very good place to start.
    I've only very briefly used Pages and can't say it did a great deal for me. MS Word I use everyday and find it fantastic on my XP PC but for somereason always had issues with it under OSX, that said I have Office v.X and was at first running it on a 700Mhz G3. I did think that it had more features than the PC version it was just really slow. I'd type a line look up and see nothing then the text would appear, that's like a 1sec. delay just typing? I'm convinced I had a problem but got round using TextEdit free and fantastic for plain old text which I'd then format in Word. I don't need a WP on my Mac anymore so am a little out-dated.
  3. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    agreed...try the 30 day trials...although, you can't print from them i believe...if you have the extra cash it can't hurt to get them anyway...but use the 30 day trial just to see if its what you are looking for
  4. artired macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2005
    Before you buy think what you need to do

Well I begin my tesis to, but you need think if you go to use a lot of images maybe need other software, i begin to make my work in office but when i pass the page numer 30 with aprox 50 pictures in jpg, my work is so slow sometimes, and when i make a change in someplaces the pictures moves for every where, then I begin to do my work in Adobe in design , for me is great the best but a friend talk to me about PAGES.
    Then I tried to use "Pages" is good software, and a great bargain, work very fast with a lot of pictures, for make the Index is so easy than in design. Is a great product.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
  6. DaveP thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    Good thinking those that recommended the trial. Where can I get the trial? I'm not sure, but I think they came with Tiger. However, as a student I was able to get Tiger from my school.