Resolved Is Jailbreaking an iPod touch illegal?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AppleDeviceUser, Feb 13, 2013.

1. AppleDeviceUser, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

2. macrumors 6502

glsillygili

*facepalm* i think we need a stickied faq on this forum

3. macrumors 65816

no. an iphone is allowed but all other devices are forbidden. for thinking about the possibilities you probaly have a fine of 500usd send to your home already. go think of your sins.

4. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

No? It's in the "grey" area just like the ipad which means its not illegal or legal...

5. macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreaking the iPhone and iPod Touch have been made legal by the 2010 and 2013 DCMA exemptions. Jailbreaking the iPad and Apple TV 2+ is illegal and always has been as set forth by the original laws within the DCMA pertaining to circumventing device encryption.

6. macrumors 65816

7. macrumors G4

Night Spring

I never understood how the touch got included in the exemption. As I understand it, the reason why iPhones got the exemption was so you could unlock it to use with your choice of carrier. Since touches don't have carriers, unlocking them isn't an issue. :confused:

8. macrumors P6

Intell

They are exempted because they are explicitly stated in the exemption along with the iPhone. The iPad did not exist at the time and the Apple TV was still Mac OS X based.

9. macrumors G4

Night Spring

I know that. I mean why was it included? What was the reasoning behind including it in the exemption along with the iPhone?

10. macrumors P6

Intell

It was included because Saurik, the person who submitted the exemption, felt that the only other iOS device as the time should be included as well. If it was to be submitted today instead of renewed, other iOS devices would likely be included as well.

11. macrumors newbie

maybe because it is your own damn device and you can do anything u want with it. obviously, installing cracked apps is illegal.

it is just like modifying your car.. you can do that as long as you don't install stolen parts.

12. macrumors 6502

Who cares? It's not like they are coming to toss you in jail for putting SBSettings on your iPod...

13. macrumors 6502

Yea if you jailbreak your touch and they find out you get a 100000 fine and some jailtime. I wouldn't do it if I were you

14. thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I am just trying to be safe, I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't install any pirated Apps. (I pay for everything even if I can get it for free by pirating it)
    I still don't know if I can jailbreak legally or not :(

15. macrumors P6

Intell

If you are jailbreaking an iPhone or iPod Touch in the United States, it is legal.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Thanks, how about Canada?

17. macrumors P6

Intell

I'm sure.

18. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

That's what I thought. I thought I saw on the jailbreak subreddit iPod touches were in the gray area. Must've been wrong, thanks for correcting.

19. macrumors 6502

Who cares? Nobody is going to stop you, and you're not hurting anyone. But it is legal at the moment.

20. macrumors regular

21. macrumors 68000

gngan

Do you seriously think cops will arrest you for jailbreaking?:eek:

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

No, but it could put a bad mark on my record.

23. macrumors G4

Night Spring

I thought the only way for the police to put anything on your record is to arrest you. Well, they can give you tickets for traffic violations, but it isn't like there are tickets for jailbreaking your devices.

24. macrumors 6502

If you're this seriously concerned talk to your lawyer. Otherwise grow a pair and jailbreak away. If you're so horrified of the posible consequences why would you trust the opinion of random forum posters on something that seems so scary/important to you? I'm not trying to be mean but really if you're this worried get some serious advice from a source you can depend on.

Out of curiosity are you this concerned about possibly doing something illegal in other areas of your life?

25. macrumors newbie

iPod touches are in a legal grey area in the United States, neither clearly legal nor clearly illegal. See the explanation on JailbreakQA's evasi0n help page - it includes background information useful for understanding this: