iPod Touch Is jailbreaking IPod Touch safe?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The Hitman, Jan 9, 2008.

1. macrumors member

The Hitman

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am starting to consider to jailbreak my Ipod Touch, but I have a few concerns.

1. Is it safe?

2. Can it damage my IPod badly? (thus "brick" it)

Thanks for your help

2. macrumors 601

Krafty

1. Yes

2. No reports of "bricking," if anything goes wrong you can restore it back to normal.

3. thread starter macrumors member

The Hitman

I just jail-broke my IPod and I love it.

One more question

Is "TextEdit" the only write program I can get?

4. macrumors 601

Krafty

5. macrumors 6502

Draythor

Actually I've heard rumors that jailbreaking your iPod touch can cause it to become grumpy and reluctant at times. Sometimes it may try to strangle you with the earbuds. My one once got angry at me when I tried to warn others about this...... Uh oh... Nooooooo!

6. PMB
    macrumors 65816

PMB

one thing, if you do jailbreak, NEVER, and i repeat NEVER remove more than 5 apps at one time, and if its summerboard, or customize, restore to defaults before you uninstall them

IF you don't follow that there is a chance of your IPT becoming bricked, as mine forgot how to sync to the computer.. and i had to pay apple to fix it, and it never booted up, and i had removed SSH....yeah.. it was fun...

7. thread starter macrumors member

The Hitman

8. macrumors 601

Krafty

well its kinda hard to say what can happen since people get different results. My browser was crap and crashes all the time but now its seems smooth.

9. macrumors 6502

Draythor

May I point out now that pretty much all my posts contain a high level of sarcasm. My way of making sure you get your five a day...

I found my jailbroken touch had a messed up clock when it synced though, kept going back to sometime in July.

10. macrumors 601

Krafty

May I point out that I tend to not care? Cause I dont.

11. macrumors newbie

How to jailbreak and what can it do

Hi i have a few questions how can i jailbreak my ipodtouch 8GB 3G and is it safe and what does jailbreaking change from none jailbreaking ipod touch's i will hope for replys thank you all.

12. macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Hi you can jailbreak it with blackra1n and it is safe and it lets you install apps that apple hasn't approved and you can do all kinds of cool stuff like change wallpaper and

13. macrumors regular

You replied with full seriousness to a (mildly amusing) joke post. You look like a bit of an idiot. :p

He's not trying to be insulting, you just failed to realise that iPods don't really have the ability to strangle people with their headphones. Hey.. What? Noooooo! *gurgling*

14. PMB
    macrumors 65816

PMB

How about we dont necropost, and keep on topic, thanks.

And, yes, let this thread die, this is extremely old, and no longer applies.

All you need is 30sec, and blackra1n. pretty much that easy. it is safe, if you dont do anything stupid, and jailbreaking allows you do do anything you want, from themes to changing text.
    I would reccomend taking some time and reading, all your answers are in the hacks section

15. macrumors newbie

If I jailbreak my iPod and I have to return it to apple. Will it ve covered

16. macrumors newbie

How do you restore it to normal

17. macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Was it really worth resurrecting this ancient thread with two separate posts asking questions you could EASILY Google yourself? Seriously, the answer to each of these questions is the first or second hit for any relevant Google search you can think of.

18. macrumors 68000

elpmas

In 1 simple term: Yes.
    In a few more simple terms: Nothing can go wrong if you "youtube how to jailbreak an iPod Touch".

:]

19. macrumors newbie

hey I was just wondering if I only want my homescreen to change and then I reset it will my bakground 4 it go away

20. macrumors newbie

Yes, very safe

I have jailbroken my ipod touch on 3.1.2 and 4.2.1 firmware and no problems whatsoever :) the springboard (the "desktop" with the icons) has gone into safety mode a few times but all you have to to do fix it is reboot or respring, no problem at all. I've got a tutorial on how to SAFELY jailbreak the 4.2.1 itouch here: http://www.ps3ipodjailbreaks.com/how-to-jailbreak-ipod-421.html Check out the rest of the site too while your at it :)

21. macrumors regular

So from what i have read...

Jailbreaking is Safe

Anything wrong can be fixed with an Itouch reset

??

Can anyone confirm, i am new to jailbreaking so this is an entirely new subject for me.

Also what are the benefits of jailbreaking?

22. macrumors regular

Never faced a single problem in the jailbreaking process. The risk doesn't outweight the reward if you're a gambler.

23. macrumors 6502a

YMark

Got it. Now tell us.... what is the "reward" of jailbreaking a 4G iPod Touch?

24. macrumors newbie

no. once you jailbreak it, Apple won't cover it. They might even try to confiscate your iDevice as one of the idiot apple genius tried to do but the annoyed guy called the cop.

25. macrumors 6502

Brucewl

1.Yes
    2.No, Emmmm, maybe not, some times it will happen.:eek: