Is Kalisphoenix's New MacBook a Steaming Pile of Crap? YOU decide...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kalisphoenix, Jan 15, 2007.

1. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Yeah, so I have a Mac mini, my wife's BlackBook, and a Sawtooth all networked. Today, my new C2D MacBook (White) joined the network.

The Mac mini and Sawtooth are ethernetted to a Belkin Wireless-G router. The Mac mini has three external hard drives connected. Both of those machines have AFP, SMB, SSH, etc set up.

The BlackBook's running through Airport. So far, it all works beautifully. Connection is fast and it runs without a glitch. No problem mounting the shared drives and transferring information around at Wireless-G speeds.

My new MacBook is a different story. I can mount the Mac mini's shared drives fine, but when I try to transfer files over, the connection seems to $#!+ itself. I open up Console and see thousands upon thousands of messages like this:

Code:
    Jan 15 18:33:05 NOYB KernelEventAgent[30]: tid 00000000 received VQ_NOTRESP event (1)
    Jan 15 18:33:05 NOYB kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_Reconnect:  Logging in with uam 8 /Volumes/Music
    Jan 15 18:33:05 NOYB kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_Reconnect:  Restoring session /Volumes/Music
    Jan 15 18:33:05 NOYB kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_Reconnect:  doing reconnect on /Volumes/Music
    Jan 15 18:33:05 NOYB kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_Reconnect:  connect to the server /Volumes/Music
    Jan 15 18:33:05 NOYB kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_Reconnect:  Opening session /Volumes/Music

So it looks like the connection's getting dropped many times (at least once a second).

Any ideas?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

What are you using to share the drives on the Mini? SharePoints?

3. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Nah, just automatic per System Preferences.

I should have mentioned that this also seems to kick my MacBook completely off the network sometimes. And the Finder becomes roughly as responsive as Uma Thurman. I try to relaunch it and, well, it doesn't re anything. I have to reboot. It also throws the rest of OS X into utter chaos -- by which I mean that System Preferences won't launch, Activity Monitor ceases to respond, other apps take 1000x as long to load up despite 1-3% CPU usage) Glad I left Windows behind so many years ago ;)

(Side Note:DAMN this MacBook boots fast!)

Might this be an Airport card problem?

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Have you tried repairing permissions?

(I'm being serious, lol)

5. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Hehehe. :p Yeah, oddly enough.

6. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I'm sure that you have tried this as rudimentary as it sounds but, restart all of the computers, and wireless router, I had the same issue and that works, however beofre I did that there was also a tip to repair permissions on all of the computers,
    \

if no of this works I would recommend clean installing your new macbook

$0.02

cooper

7. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Yep, tried that. (Sorry, I should have posted all this... but for what it's worth, this is about when I ran out of ideas)

I clean-installed it when I got it :(

8. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Hmm. This should teach me the next time I assume that "it worked ten minutes ago, so I don't need to try to replicate this behavior with other computers."

Just now tried an identical operation from the Sawtooth. It errored out much more quickly than the MacBook did. "Error -43," it shouted incomprehensibly at me. Apparently some files could not be found? And then the entire share disappeared from t3h Finder.

WTF?

At least it's not the MacBook. It seems to be the Mac mini?