Is Keyboard Protector Necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mem, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Mem macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    I have a brand new 15 inch Powerbook. I've heard issues involving the keyboard causing probalems with the screen after its been carried around for a while. Whether I go with the Booq Powersleeve 14 or the Crumpler School Hymm is a keyboard protector necessary? I notice there's a small gap when it's closed, but it seems rather flimsy, is this enough? It will be in either case and then in a backpack for the majority of each day.
  2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    The keyboard scratching the screen was a major problem with the old TiBooks, it isn't very common with the current models. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're really concerned about scratches it's probably easier to use some kind of display cushions like Wildeepz.
  3. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    I just use that original foam sheet it came with.
    If you ask me, its better to be safe than sorry. If I lose it, I will probably get a protector from RadTech.
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Those Wildeepz cushions are probably a good idea. What happens is, while you're carrying the 'book around, the screen gets pressed down onto the keys. This makes the oil from your fingers go onto the screen. Those cushions would prevent the screen from moving unevenly or pressing down onto the keys. Sounds like a good investment to me.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Cheap and easy temp solution: paper towel. Not the cheapest kind, but any decent paper towel isn't going to scratch the screen. Plus, should there be a spill nearby, you've got it right there!