Is leaving my iPod Touch plugged in constantly ok?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Paulyboy, Sep 3, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2007
    I'm disabled and use an electric wheelchair to get around. I have an iPod Touch mounted to my armrest for easy access. I also have a car charging socket plugged directly into the wheelchair battery. I bought a Griffin PowerJolt SE Car Charger with Coiled Cable for iPod Touch that plugs directly into that socket. So basically wherever I go my iPod touch goes with me and it constantly has a source of power nearby.

So I was wondering if it's okay to just leave it plugged into that socket all the time except when I remove it from my wheelchair on occasion when a friend wants to use it or when I want to use it in bed to read (among other things) before I go to sleep?

If it is better to unplug it and let it run down sometimes I will if needed. I do need assistance unplugging it and plugging it back in but if that's what's better for it I will make sure I do that occasionally. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. macrumors 68000

Jan 17, 2008
    It's much healthier for the battery if you let it run down. To put this into perspective, after owning an iPod Video for 3 years, I started using it as a reading light with it always plugged in. Four weeks later, it won't even turn on without being plugged into the WALL, and can't hold enough power to sync with iTunes through USB.

It seems like it will be a hassle for you because of your condition, but it's better for the battery.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 16, 2008
    agreed. also it can get too hot. one end of my usb cord has burn marks on it because it got so hot.
  4. macrumors 68020

Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    Yeah, USB really can get hot over time. :(

To the OP, try to charge up your Touch completely, and then drain the battery completely, and repeat. It'll really help with your battery life over time.
  5. Guest

May 8, 2008
    Exactly what the above posters said, it will destroy the battery life.
  6. macrumors 601

Jul 20, 2008
    Do these hold true with Mac notebook batteries as well?
  7. macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2008
    Of Course that is Lithium Technlogy in both the MacBook and iPhone. It applys to everything that uses it. I try my best to do at least once a month and since I have a spare battery I switch the battery every two weeks and when one of the batterys go into storage I charge the thing only up to 50%.
  8. macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2008
    I'll have to disagree with the majority...

First question to ask is "what chemistry is used in the iPod Touch battery". Answer is easy to find: lithium-ion. Question therefore is "how do I baby a li-ion battery".

Why not ask apple ?

Or wikipedia ?

This one is often quoted also:

Even on macrumors...

So I disagree. Even more in your situation, where plugging and unplugging is cumbersome. But don't take my word for it. Read, and decide for yourself.

If I dare: don't worry, be happy. Best regards.
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll let it run down to 40% or so occasionally but will probably keep it plugged in most of the time.

10. macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2009
    Apple says DON'T leave battery always on the charger

From Apple: "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal."
  11. macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2009
    Doesn't really matter, but remember to let it run dry once and a while!
  12. JAT
    macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2001
    Mpls, MN
    Do you suppose his battery lasted since Sept 2008? :rolleyes: