Is "Leopard Beta" possible WWDC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dajar, Jul 29, 2006.

1. dajar macrumors newbie

I suppose it is for sure that we'll see a Leopard preview at WWDC. But can Apple release a beta version of Leopard at WWDC? To developer's only or public beta like Vista one. I don't remember such a thing with Tiger; but my memory may be playing a trick to me.

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Doubt it, they probably won't even start dev betas till 3-4 months down the lane.. OS X beta was the only public beta release doubt there will be any more like that.

*oh as AppleMatt posted after mine i did forget about the dvds after the keynote.. my bad.

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

For the last few years Apple have handed out beta DVDs after the keynote, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did this year too, considering the target ship date is closer than the Tiger WWDC to release timeframe.

They haven't released a beta to the public for years, and it was more of a 'how do you like our new OS' rather than a developer release, which function primarily to allow developers to create applications ready for Leopards new features the day it is released.

AppleMatt

4. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I'm sure you could get your hands on a copy post WWDC.

Heck, even an Intel PM G5 (or MacPro) possibly at a discount. ;)

5. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Haha, Larry, yes, that would definitely get him/her a Leopard "beta". And only $3,500. ;)

6. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

If I recall, as the OS release comes closer, you can order a developer "subscription" that gets you all the latest builds of the new OS but NOT any other developer perks for around $500. You also got a boxed copy of the OS when it's released.

7. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Hey who knows, he could have a fat wallet.

8. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

What's this mythical "target ship date" you speak of? As far as I know, the only time frame Apple has officially given is "Late 2006 - Early 2007" which could be as late as March 2007. Given that Tiger took 8, 9 months to go from developer preview to public release, I have strong doubts that Leopard will even be ready by MWSF, which would only be 5 months after the developer preview.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a feeling that Leapord will be ready right around MWSF. why? to steal Vista's thunder, and pump another one out before Vista ships.

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I think PlaceofDis is right.

And if they do, I will laugh my ass off. :D

11. nitynate macrumors 6502a

12. imacintel macrumors 68000

They have to release it, put it through alpha testing and then you will get beta. And then they will oficcialy relese it.

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

post-wwdc pre-release OSX is always tons of fun :)

14. SwitchedBack2XP macrumors member

so will i since microsoft will make so much money off vista!

15. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Uh, they don't have to do anything like that.

And seeing how much 10.3.0 and 10.4.0 sucked, it doesn't seem like the developer testing is all that helpful… ;)

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My prediction is that during the Keynote, Steve Jobs will announce that there are pre-release DVDs of Leopard available in Room X after the Keynote.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Tiger was previewed in June 04 and released at the end of April 05 but since there were quite major low-level API changes in Tiger (eg Core Image and Core Video) which were supposedly meant to stop major API changes going forward, I'm hoping that there's less need for a long delay in Leopard's release date.

I'm doubtful of a pre-Christmas release since the developers do need some time to make changes although it would likely get some good press coverage with the Vista slip into 07 - but I expect it's more likely to be a MWSF announcement with an on-sale date of end Jan

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I beg to differ..Developer testing is VERY helpful..
    It's the developers that get into the guts and find the real bugs..

Select and Premier members will probably get the Beta after WWDC..Leopard will have gone through Alpha by the time Job's shows it off..

19. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

we can only hope

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

The "mythical "target ship date"" I speak of is just as you thought, i.e. what Apple have (very) publically announced. I'm sorry that I used 'date' and you would prefer 'time frame', however the use is justified. By saying "could be as late as March 2007" you've reinforced my point - by definition of the statement the target ship date of up-to late March is before that of Tiger, which shipped April 29th. Add to this the fact that this years WWDC is later than the previous years, so there is even less time, then we have a strong case for Apple supplying developers with a beta at the conference. Finally it's what they've done every year - so it's reasonable to expect it this year too.

I don't know who said about it being ready by MWSF, but it certainly wasn't me. Nor did I imply it.

Damn right, unfortunately it's never as good when it's installed - a month after Tiger I was already thinking about Leopard!

Not only this, but Apple added kernel programming interfaces to Tiger. Basically this means developers make calls to these instead of the API itself. Therefore Apple can change the API to make it better, but it won't affect developers programs (in theory), because they still make the same calls. Neat stuff.

AppleMatt

21. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

The ;) was meant to convey that I was joking.

And unless you are trying to say 10.3.0 and 4.0 didn't suck like a black hole we are in total agreement. :)

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

didn't realize you were joking..My bad
    I wouldn't say 10.4 actually sucked.It did need improvements.Some big and some trivial.But imho it was ready for release..No different than any other O/S "first out the door" release.

23. drj434343 macrumors member

drj434343

I know this might sound contradictory, and perhaps slightly off topic, but I take that comment as very positive. Yes we had lots of dreams about what Tiger would deliver. And it did come with several very cool features. Now we have lots of cool dreams about Leopard. I'm sure it will deliver on several of those dreams. Then, we'll be talking about 10.6... The underlying point is that we're excited about the OS, and believe that Apple is capable of delivering some real innovations. Of course some will be disappointed, but clearly they're developing something sufficiently exciting as to keep all of us interested and relatively happy! And that’s a rare thing in this Windows world.

24. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

not even going to touch that one :rolleyes: