Is Leopard going to be available for G3 users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lionel!!!!!, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Lionel!!!!! macrumors newbie

Can anyone answer that question? otherwise i should buy Tiger now that its available. Also, what are the minimum requirements for 10.5?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple made mention of, "From G3 to Xeon...", but took it off. I say that a G4 and Quartz Extreme should be requirements from now on.

3. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Mind if I ask, at the risk of sounding rude, why on Earth would you still be using a G3 processor? Legacy/comfort level is one thing, and certainly money is an issue for a lot of people, but at very least a G4 or early G5 would be in order at this point in the game... they can be had on the cheap? How can you be productive with a G3 anymore?

4. Lionel!!!!! thread starter macrumors newbie

I got an iBook G3, as a gift, im not happy with it, but, theres nothing i can do :).

5. dirtleg macrumors member

Dude, there are a lot of us G3 users still out here. :D

Granted, we are in the market for an upgrade to a new iMac, but our old G3 has been serving us well for several years. There does come a time when an upgrade is practically required though. And we have reached that time.

One of our motivations is the imminent arrival of Leopard.

6. Lionel!!!!! thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this may be that time when you are forced to give up on G3. So what Intel-Based Mac should i buy? or should I buy a refurbished G4?

7. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Ouch... haha. Well, make due for now I suppose. I heard they make nice paperweights? ;)

8. hodgjy macrumors 6502

It all depends on what you need the computer to do and what level of speed you're comfortable with. The G3 is still a good computer for email, word processing, cruising the web, and running spreadsheets. Heck, in the lab I work in, we have several Intel 486 66 Mhz computers running Windows 3.11. We need the computers to run some analytical machines. That's all the horsepower we need to do it, so it makes no sense to upgrade to Dual Cores or anything like that. So, there's still a need for older legacy computers--it just depends on what you need.

9. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

"Need" is a subjective thing. Of course an old-school Mac or PC will be able to fumble and plod its way through just about anything, within reason. I think the question is less about need, and more about productivity. Anything you're doing with a G3 or (gasp!) a 486 will be done exponentially faster and more productively with an up-to-date machine.

So again, there's plenty to be said for showing restraint from purchasing a machine you don't need or will never use. But even upgrading to a Pentium 4 or a G4 machine would be a very minimal investment with exponential returns on productivity. Seems like a no-brainer to me?

10. tsvb macrumors 6502

my guess agrees with others...G4 will/should be a requirement.