Is Leopard really worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Jan 24, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My cousin is about to switch (crusade continues) and is considering a blackbook but we're having doubts as whether to wait for Leopard (iLife doesn't really matter)

Im thinking its not really that worth it. After all, its definately gonna have bugs and not all current software will be compatible for it for at least 6 months. Then again they've been releasing builds for developers but not all 3rd party software developers will be subscribers to Apple's developer program right.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

2. ready2switch macrumors 6502

I think your cousin would be very happy with 10.4 and shouldn't let waiting for Leopard deter him from switching. Sure, 10.5 will be great, but there are still many users running 10.3 and will be for some time. 10.4 is a very viable OS and will continue to be supported for a long time.

If he wants to upgrade to Leopard after it's released and after he feels all the bugs are worked out and software has been developed, it's not really that much to upgrade.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Apple's major OS releases are usually quite functional but not perfected. Your call to make, depending on how badly you need to get that computer.

If it were my call, I'd try and wait for Leopard to be released before I buy, but then again I like to get the new OS as soon as it is available. I'm reckless that way.:)

Waiting will most likely save you the $129 upgrade to Leopard, and possibly the upgrade to iLife '07 if you were going to purchase it. Also, Boot Camp is reportedly included in Leopard but will cost Tiger users $30.

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

My thoughts exactly, Leopard isn't that fantastic as far as im concerned. Spaces? (Virtue Desktop), Time Machine? (We already have a networked HDD for backups) BUT i havent seen the whole OS so who knows....

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

We'll be using Parallels instead of Bootcamp, however, you have a point about iLife thats why we're waiting till Feb 20th to see what happens.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Unless cash is a huge issue, buy the MacBook now, and buy Leopard when it comes out. You'll definitely want Leopard, but that doesn't mean you want to wait, especially when it could be a few more months.

7. rema macrumors regular

Why whats happening on Feb 20th...

8. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Yea, I would like to know whats taking place Feb 20th too :D

I really need a laptop myself and would like to have a 13" macbook (with dedicated graphics tho) I would hold off it I apple were to release a 12-13" macbook pro soon.

If your cousin is getting ready to switch to a mac from windows, switch now! it's well worth spending $120 on upgrading OS versions later and getting off windows now :)

9. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

There's a rumor going around that there's a special event slated for Feb 20th.

10. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

The world is going to stop for two hours while Steve Jobs talks about new stuff. ;)

11. rema macrumors regular

sounds real good where did you guys hear about this?

12. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm in a similar situation. I'd like to get a MacBook sometime soon, but with Leopard and iLife on the horizon, it's hard to make a decision on whether to wait or not. After thinking it over, I've decided I'll probably just buy before it comes out. No-one knows when it'll be coming out... It could be next month, it could be three. I'd rather have to wait in order to find out.

13. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Right here at home

14. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I wonder if that's true, if they'll give free upgrade coupons for ANY system? Wonder if there's any chance of new Macbook Pros.

15. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

Even if Leopard is AMAZING, who cares?

You can still upgrade.

You can buy it, you can get a bunch of friends together and purchase a family (multi license) package, you can do *something* and get it without too much hassle.

Just buy a macbook, and stop worrying about what might happen down the road.

Trust me you will love it.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I say do it now. The upgrade cost is relatively insignificant. Also, I have installed Panther and Tiger immediately after their release. Never have regretted it for a minute. Maybe I just run applications which do not develop problems?

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you can save at least $140 by waiting a couple months (assuming you can), then why not?

18. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Id say the technology improvements would be worth wait but the Leopard no. But this statement means nothing if you need it now. Remember the real Golden Rule If you can wait, wait. If not, buy.

19. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

I don't know if you were a Mac user when Mac OS 10.4 came out.

When Tiger was released on April 29, 2004, I'd have to say it was one of the smoothest transitions into a new OS ever. They've gained from this experience; I highly doubt Apple's going to screw it up with Leopard. Trust me; installing and using Leopard is going to be a seamless experience.

Now, onto your issue...

Does your cousin need the computer now? If so, buy. If not, wait. It's as simple as that.

20. drewby macrumors member

drewby

i thought about waiting as well, but i'm tired of waiting. itook the plunge last night and should get my blackbook in a week (crosses fingers).

the way i look at it, even if it is announced late february, we're most likley still going to have to wait until spring until it is is actually released. say three months. if i really *must* have 10.5 when it is released (which i probably will want), would it be worth $35 - $45 a month until it is released to have my macbook *now*? for me, yes.

21. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Yes, and remember, if you're a student, a Mac OS upgrade usually only costs $69 via the Apple Online Education Store.

22. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

"At Least" 140?

Where are you shopping?

Family packs with 5 licenses are usually around $200. Share that with 5 people and it's like $40 a person.

Not a big deal, and NOT worth waiting a couple months when there is a great OS out already.

23. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

24. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Student? Edu discounts on Leopard.

Not worth the wait. Apple has a way of making "I have to buy it" stuff. I wouldn't fret about not having the latest OS though. If it's really that compelling, it's worth the $129 already.

If your cousin was concerned about saving, he'd save the cost of Leopard and a bit more by buying a similar spec whitebook. :)

25. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

mac os x upgrades have run about $129. with tax, that comes to $140. and who knows? perhaps leopard might be more expensive than that; we can't just assume it will be released at $129. regarding the family pack, not everybody knows 5 people with macs who want to upgrade their os.