Is life really just a bunch of rejections?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I don't mean to sound pessimistic here, I'm usually a very uplifting guy but even though I've only been around this life for 21 years it seems like it's just a bunch of rejections/failures.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Mmm...at least we have 10.5 to look forward to!

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

yes....on each tuesday I get rejected by Apple ;)

Ya sometime I wonder what the point of it all, but I guess I'll play the game and when its done we'll all find out

On the bright side we have Apple to keep us going!!:p

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

No, it's not all rejections :) Things get better once you're finishing college. Sure, more responsabilities, but more more gratification!

Any reason in particular for you feeling that way?

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Rejections are a part of life, and if you reflect, yes, you can construct the narrative of your life via a series of rejections (this I'm sure is easier for some than others). But to do so you'd need to ignore a lot of stuff -- including your successes (hard as they may be at times to see) and all of the mundanity of the day to day.

I remember coming to the "epiphany" at some point during college that life was just a series of crises (my life was ok, but whatever) -- I thought you just sort of lurched from crisis to crisis 'till you finally blacked out. But fact is that lurching -- whether it be from crisis to crisis or rejection to rejection -- is filled with a world of non-crises and non-rejections.

Take this thread, for example. Nobody's rejected you yet, right? Unless I'm rejecting your theory about rejection, but then I'd think you're feeling a bit oversensitive, which might suggest, like dllavaneras implies, that you're feeling something -- or living through something -- that isn't quite about rejection at all.

More simply, then:

You're always welcome here, even (or especially) if you're feeling down.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Do you think you could make a podcast w/ all your wonderful insight and thoughtful words so that I could listen to it everyday? :eek:

7. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Well being a recent graduate from college I started right away in corporate america and you know the horrors that happen there look at the apprentice as an example. I do have to admit there are good times but you question life or your situation ur at. I am more a nuetral not get involve just do my job type of person. But still it can get to you, what I did is follow the kharma/ying-yang the balance of things idea. Being that I experience alot of negative energy, I decided well Ill create some positive energy by being volunteer at a grass root organization that helps the community. And to this day is how I keep my sanity, knowing even with the bad in the world, I at least do something good for me and everyone.

Now iam the president, recognized by the county where I live for the work I do.

8. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I think that is because one tends to ponder and mull over rejections/failures and things seem worse when you are down, whereas when one succeeds you are normally too busy enjoying to think about such things.

:)

9. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I reject your thesis, you have failed to convince me.

B

11. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I think life is what fits into the gaps between the rejections/disappointments.

Maybe you should get religious.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

if you're talking about your career, then yes

13. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

It's true. What you focus on will become your reality. All the things that are in your life now is a result of the thoughts you held in the past.

Buddha said it best.. "All that we are is the result of what we have thought."

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Life is a bunch of rejections if you're always being rejected.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Yes. This is what my boss told us once....

If you make 25 calls a day, do that for five days, you'll have a sale at the end of the week.

He told us 100% success rate doesn't happen in life, no matter what or who. This is a guy who is this | | close to being a billionaire and in 2003, he was the highest paid CEO in Canada.

16. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Don't be defeated. You might fell low now. It won't last forever. When ever I feel low I always do something really selfish. Like go to the beach with out inviting my friend. :p I live 200m from the best surf break in my area. Only locals and friends in the company of a locals a loud. No outsiders. :D Though our land is the only way in.

17. freebird macrumors member

to me, each rejection adds personal strength. life is an upward struggle, and there are some steps that you just have to take. remember that true freedom is being able to not care what other people think of you.

i hold the view that i would prefer to live a terrible and harsh life but know i worked hard and did the right things - the things i believed in - over a life where everything comes easily and boredom is your biggest foe.

the more you struggle, the more beautiful death is, honestly. death can be its own reward. obviously on the surface this sounds like a very pessimistic idea, but think of life as a hill, and death as the peak. if you climb upward your whole life you will have a nicer view than someone who cruises along. you can then look back at the times you had to crawl up the slopes and be proud of it, because it's not your average joe who has gone through the hells you have.

the man who has accomplished the most is the man who was served sh*t and made something of it.

each failure you live through and overcome is something you can be proud of. because any second you can choose to end it all, but the fact that you keep going is awesome and admirable.

18. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yeah, because if you really want something and pray and beg for it, then god is the guy who ignores you.

At least you'll have someone to blame.;)

19. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Rejected?

Stop dragging yourself to the trashcan then...

*Chha-punk-shaaa*

Thanks ladies and gentlemen, I'll be there all week! Try the veal...

20. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Rejections? Been there! After college I proceeded to lose two jobs in six years, had a very promising relationship totally fall apart, battled depression, spinal surgery, and found myself moving back in with my parents.

Now I have a job I love (which I got because of contacts from the first two jobs), own my own home, and married my friend who's shoulder I often cried on when my previous relationship went up in flames.

Sometimes rejection happens for a reason. Think of life like an organ transplant. If the you don't match perfectly, you are going to be rejected. But when you fit, it is the most wonderful feeling you can have.

21. nplima macrumors 6502a

pain is your friend. it will never abandon you during the hard times.

22. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

:confused: What on Earth was that?

So far we haven´t heard from the OP. I hope he feels better, there´s always something better coming along

23. iGav macrumors G3

I'm beginning to think Arn really needs to consider some sort of life coaching forum on here.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think Palad1 was confusing "rejection" with "ejection" (as in ejecting a disk by dragging it to the trashcan in Mac OS). Take pity on him, he's French.

25. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

Jack Daniels has never rejected me.

Neither has Jim Beam for that matter, or Johnny Walker, or Captain Morgan....