is limewire safe?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dreamangelz53, Jun 2, 2006.

1. dreamangelz53 macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    i downloaded limewire onto my powerbook and one day when i took it into the geniusbar at one of the apple stores, the guy told me that limewire messes up the system so it's really bad for my powerbook and i should stop using it i guess my question that true? haha cause limewire is the only firesharing program i can find for macs x-X so i just want to know if there are better programs out there? or if limewire is reliable (safe)? =) thanks!
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

No mater what the assurances are, you are explicitly opening part of your machine to free access by the internet at large.

I think it's an exceedingly bad idea.
  3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I wouldn't touch any file-sharing program with a 10 foot pole. They destroy any and all computers, and are generally used for very illegal things.
  4. dreamangelz53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    yea i deleted it right away, but..i guess i was still curious :eek: haha
  5. jive macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2006
    I have Limewire Pro (obtained through regular Limewire - go figure) and I use it for the odd song but that's all. I dout I've had it running more than 10 minutes since I installed it...
  6. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    It's not going to destroy your Powerbook. There are other filesharing alternatives for OS X.

I don't recommend leaving it running all the time as having extra open ports is an unnecessary security risk as others have stated.
  7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Agreed, P2P is lame, and I havn't even opened Limewire in ages, but it's certainly not going to screw stuff up...

8. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    P2P is not lame. For the record I do not download music. Though being a musician, I do not agree with the RIAA. They make all the money from CDs and the musicians get fractions of a penny per CD. Greedy CEOs screwing artists.

I support non-RIAA artists in buying their music from their own websites, and attend live concerts. I urge others to support their artists, and to NOT support greedy CEOs.

As for the part about Limewire 'opening a port, making you insecure' That is a ridiculous statement. When you use iChat, Safari, Mail, online video games, any program that access the internet- you are using a port that is 'open' when the program is running. Limewire running makes your computer no less secure than running iChat.

There are many cases of P2P which ARE legal, and useful. Here is a torrent from, for example:
  9. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    limewire for MacOS X, has been found to be very problematic for my friends and i.

try Acquisition (here) - one of the best mac programmes ever written, let alone p2p!

check out his "Inquisitor" programme too - it's sweeet :D