Is LokiTorrent gone?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Nermal, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    It might be something temporary, or just my connection, but LokiTorrent doesn't want to work for me. Anyone else not able to get onto the site? I just get a 404 error.

Edit: Now it has an MPAA message on it! :eek:
  2. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Suprnova, filesoup...they are all being shutdown...I wouldn't be suprised if Loki is gone forever
  3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    The severity is somewhat lessened now that I've found somewhere else with the latest episode of Lost :D
  4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004

It kinda sucks that they got shut down. Good thing for them, that they collected about $45,000 in donations over the past 1.5 months to pay for their lawyers or a new car ;)

Lucky for me, while the site was down yesterday, I also found another place to get the newest episode of LOST. Now I have to figure out how to convert the 15 episodes to DVD. Probably thru Toast.
  5. jadam macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
    wow check out their site, Shutdown my court order...
  6. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I never liked the layout of LokiTorrent. I don't remember downloading anything off of there, although I have other sites I visit to download movies, TV shows, and music.
  7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    darn mpaa..... there are still plenty of others, you just need to look.
  8. justinshiding macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Just a suggestion but the philips DVP642 dvd player will actually play most divx endcoded movies....I know I have all of arrested development (data files) on one dvd and it plays just fine :). That way you don't have to waste time actually encoding them as a real dvd.

9. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yep, the Philips players are good, my 625 will play all regions :D
  10. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    wont be long until there are no more torrent websites :(

the MPAA has made an official announcement about the whole closure of lokitorrent, found here:

(excerpt)The MPAA's efforts to date have resulted in a 40 percent reduction in the number of servers that continue to operate. One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent—one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

be weary if you recently used LokiTorrent to download a movie or two... you may find yourself with an email. luckly I never used Loki for movies...

actually, now that I think about it, im more worried for the other torrent sites out there. nearly all of them had torrents posted on LokiTorrent. I wont be surprised if a few more get shut down within the next few weeks...
  11. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Let's make sure that never happens...
  12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yeah, I've never downloaded any movies from there - in fact I haven't downloaded any movies since they started pursuing movie downloaders in NZ.

Speaking of which, if I do appear in the Loki logs, can the MPAA do anything? After all, I'm not in America.
  13. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    I flipped the F out when I tried opening lokitorrent today and it had that pseudointimidating MPAA crap on it.

I am disappointed because lokitorrent was like the only torrent site that didn't immediately buckle under pressure from the MPAA *cough*suprnova*cough*. Loki was also accepting donations to hire lawyers and pay for legal fees to fight the MPAA. Last I saw they raised over $50,000 in user donations. I wonder what went wrong. is almost as good anyway, I'll be heading over there from now on. I guess the MPAA has little influence over foreign-hosted torrent sites.
  14. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    SuprNova was hosted in Slovakia (or it might have been Slovenia).
  15. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004
  16. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004

I found last night when looking for episode 15 of LOST.

I hate the MPAA and the RIAA.
    I always find it funny when I can but a DVD of a major film at Best Buy for 9.99 and the soundtrack CD for the film cost 15.99 Which cost more to produce? a 50 million dollar film or a 100,000 dollar soundtrack?
    Maybe they'll make us go back to analog so no one can copy anything.

I only copied TV from Loki, when i missed it. If I can do that with a VCR or Tivo, why can't I dl it. The networks already made their money of their advertising. And don't even get me started on the lack of ethics on sweeps weeks that the networks use to boost their advertising prices several times every TV season.

If I am going to hell for dl'ing LOST....everyone in the TV networks is going to a deeper layer in hell, and eating our POOP too

Why spend 5 days dl'ing a DVD when you can rent unlimited from NetFlix and BlockBuster? You can rip those in less time or legally re-rent them whenever you want.

I am not advocating stealing music or DVDs. But i think the DVD region coding is laziness on distributors part and part politics and beurocracy(sp). If i buy a dvd for 30-50- USD in Europe, I should be able to play it on my own laptop anywhere in the world, without restriction.

MPAA will be eating my POOP in hell ;)
  17. Kaiganeru macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2005
    In my head
    What are we going to do? We need P2P, we need it desperately

I truly am saddened by the departure of Lokitorrent. I'm getting more and more worried as sites drop like flies.

I don't know why Boxtorrents is still around. They advertise that they don't distribute "licensed" anime... but in truth they distribute pretty much nothing else (I'm exaggerating, of course, but nonetheless, you can find all manner of licensed anime at boxtorrents.. with the proviso that's it's for "your own backup needs and that you shouldn't download it if you don't own the DVD" -- lol, fairly transparent CYA, but hey.. whatever works.

I worry about all this because I DON'T want to pay for what people in Japan get on cable television. I already pay 165 dollars A MONTH for cable, which is utterly INSANE.. if the Japanese get their anime on television (I get so annoyed with people who say "YES, BUT THEY PAY FOR CABLE TO GET IT) Yes, SO DO I.. and the best I can get is to pay a PREMIUM price for a channel called "The Anime Network" which is ADV's and ONLY HAS DUBBED ANIME.

And yet it calls itself and bills itself as the "best" and the "most and best and greatest anime ever shown on North American Television" and what is horrible is that.... it's true. IT'S TRUE.

I don't want to watch an Americanized/Anglicized/Sterilized/Culturally Neutral version of a Masterpiece -- Spirited Away is a good example of that. From the title on down, it's not the same anime as Miyazaki-san (and using the honorific doesn't mark me an otaku.. it is simply a form of respect) created.

The anime is about duality and ecology and the psychology of aloneness and the change that occurs when we lose ourselves.. it's not as accessible in those themes as is, say, Mononoke Hime, which is also very good, although much darker (in my opinion.. although a lighter analysis yields hope, a deeper one, in my opinion, again, doesn't quite yield as much as the "happy happy, it's really very hopeful" folks think it does.

The difference, to my mind, is similar to Bronte vs. Austen.. the themes are there, the same themes are there, but you have to look more closely, and in the end, it is more rewarding... but if you watch Sen and Chihiro's (Experience of Being) Spirited Away in the DUB, you get a DISNEYESQUE cartoon about a heroine who grows up and saves her parents and everything is wonderful and happy and OH MY HOW NICE!!!

I don't want to have to pay for that sort of thing. I don't want my anime adulterated, and I WANT the torrents to live on so that we who love anime and recognize it as a fully fledged ART FORM.. as an equal alternative to "live Action" cinema (Live Action is one way of making movies, Anime is another.. both have sub-genres.. action, adventure, romance, comedy, sci-fi, horror, adult, adult themes, mixtures of the above... but Anime has MORE sub-genres than live action and isn't bound by "stars" and HUGE budgets.

Anime is as valid a method of movie making as is live action.. but many don't understand that and think it's for children.

I don't download movies from torrent trackers. I never downloaded any movies from Lokitorrent but I downloaded anime.

Older anime that is no longer available in the irc channels.. is often available on bittorrent somewhere... or through other p2p protocols.. I'm looking into this whole ed2k thing (emule, edonkey) ?? apparently things are longer lived on it and how do you stop something that HAS NO CENTRAL distribution but is truly and totally computer to computer? You can't.

The companies want folks to pay for edited, americanized subtitles, culturally sterile anime... IT'S FROM JAPAN.. leave the Japanese content IN THERE.. if someone doesn't LIKE IT.. let them watch cartoons..

I don't want to pay for that. If we had the same access that Japanese people do.. pay for your cable and you get the great content.. then I would have no complaint. But we don't. We are told not to download fansubs, sites are taken down, and the companies want us to accept poor content at ridiculous prices. YES, I KNOW THAT DVDS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE IN JAPAN.. but so much of anime is ON TELEVISION.. it can be taped, it can be TiVoed, it can be stored.. for the price of your CABLE TELEVISION.

So let us do the same.. I'll pay my cable bill and get anime that isn't a shadow of what it was.. and then we won't NEED torrent sites, since we'll have it right there on cable to tape, backup, store, and enjoy as we wish.

Is that a better solution? I don't really care about movies and such.. I can see the point there.. but something that was on television? If I missed an episode of a tv show, why shouldn't I be able to download it? If I had tivo or had my computer rigged such that it would do that, what's the difference?

Let's make sure our torrent sites don't die and make doubly sure we don't lose our entertainment at the hands of unreasoning greed that cares not whether we get what we want as long as they make a profit... without providing us with what we're paying for. No way.. let's make sure it NEVER HAPPENS.. We need our anime and we need the ability to watch it the way it is meant to be watched!

And for those reasons we can't let the torrents and sites and other portals go away.

We just can't... not unless you really want all or our anime to go the way of loki... nothing left but a threatening screen telling us that THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE, and they HAVE OUR INFORMATION.

Big Brother is watching and he wants YOU to pay $24 for a DVD of three poorly edited, badly subtitled, Americanized, Anglicized, "anime" episodes.

No thank you.
  18. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Don't forget BitTorrent always has its excellent legitimate uses. I don't know what I would do if I were forced to download over four gigs of data for the fedora core dvd install iso from a slow server or something :p

oh, there's also, legitimate music bittorrenting.
  19. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003

actually, the only reason VCRs are legal is because of the supreme court's "betamax" decision. The argument for VCRs was that they had "substantial noninfringing use" possibilities, like recording your kids' birthdays. However just because they legalized VCRs does not mean you can use them to record TV shows. That is, in fact, still illegal, albeit completely nonenforceable.
  20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    How do you explane TiVo then? TiVo's sole purpose is to record TV shows. I think the laws say you can record shows for your personal use and for the use of the people in your household. You just can't distribute them elsewhere.
  21. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I never really used loki. Theres only 1 torrent site that I use and thats for downloading 24. I have every episode from this season so far. So as long as that doesn't get shut down im ok.