Is Mac Ever Going To Make A OS for Mobile Devices?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, May 13, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If they haven't already. I've never heard of it. I'm just askin cause I've read windows just came out with a new one or sumthin'.

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

came out with a new one? you mean their windows mobile OS (smartphone or pocket pc version)? It has been out for quite a while unless you are refering to something new.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Or a new version... 5.0? I dunno I dont really pay attention to that stuff. I was just wonderin' about if Apple would ever get into that stuff.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Don't you mean "Is Apple Ever Going To Make An OS for Mobile Devices?" Apple's the company; Mac's the product.

My guess is that as long as Apple is against making PDAs and other devices that would be able to use such a thing, no they won't. I don't entirely understand Apple's reasoning, however.

5. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

The one big problem I see with Apple making a Mobile device, as in a PDA, is having developer support.

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

What is their reasoning :confused: :confused: :eek:

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

my guess is that the mobile market is oversaturated and shrinking. pda's have lost marketshare to smartphones for the last few years, and with symbian, windows mobile, and just plain old phone os's running around, apple would have to do something seriously amazing to capture a significant portion of the market. especially since they'd have to offer huge rebates either directly to customers or to the phone companies, since its rare for people to pay list price for a phone any longer.
    maybe they do have something great like that up their sleeves, but i honestly doubt it. apple is a brilliant company, but i think it's probably ipod/g5 powerbooks or a pda/smartphone. I don't think they could really spare the r&d for both.

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Oh ok thanks for that.......good point..I think they always have something up their sleeve :p ;)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

With a PDA, they could probably do something.

With a mobile phone, probably not. There's not really much you can do right now that's so different from everyone else that its worth pursuing. Steve said there's not much they can offer for the PDA market, and there's certainly not much they can do for the mobile market that'll convince the big 3 mobile companies to switch to Apple's mobile OS.

What they can do is offer Java programs that somehow connect to their services (eg: iTunes mobile written in Java and therefore usable on any phone that's Java enabled, which can then hook up to iTMS to d/l music or videos or anything else they want.)

10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

are there any java mp3 players for phones? anybody know of where i can get java apps for cell phone?

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

even today, the newton holds up somewhat well.. shame it was discontinued.. it could have gone so much farther.. lol iNewton

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i think it would be great if apple made a lite version of tiger to run on a treo 650 or something. If so, this is prolly some years off.

13. mpw Guest

I would've thought that the easy option for Apple would be to partner up with say Motorola and offer versions of their products with an Apple OS that would work seamlessly with Apple's hardware.

The problems I see, include but are not limited to, are that the product would have to more than hold it's own and be a really great success, as just a great success would be spun as failure and destroy the good PR work of the iPod.

Apple seems to like to have a good design/idea and run with it for years making slight improvements only over that time, ie iPod/iBook range, whereas the mobile world moves at a blinding pace with change for changes sake to keep the fashion punters and their big customers, the networks inticing people with the latest fur-lined-polka-dot-jewl-encrusted-wafer handset. Apple possible blinding product would fall out of fashion awful quick and again seem a failure.

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Just to resurrect this thread, and add a bit more to it...I went shopping for a new Palm yesterday, after thinking on it for some time and deciding I really needed something digital again to keep me organized (I had sold my zire 71 to buy a digital camera).
    So I head over to my local staples and discover they've got the tungsten E on sale. but not in stock. I figured before I started running around to other staples I would try some other retailers around there.
    I went into best buy, and they had 6 pdas out. Well, the pdas weren't out, pictures of them were. 3 pocket pcs, 3 palms. terrible, poorly maintained display next to the mp3 players.
    Then I stopped in target, no pdas on display anywhere.
    So I went to another staples, bought my tungsten and now I am happy. But I did find it very interesting, since both best buy and target used to stock palm and pocket pc items fairly heavily. it was definitely illuminating....
    It reinforces the point that Apple would have to come out all guns ablazin' with something akin to the ipod for pdas....and even then they'd have to really push it before bigger retailers caught on...