Is Mac Mini due for an update?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mrat93, Feb 23, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

mrat93

The buyers guide states "Do not buy - Update Soon." (I know this only means it's past its average cycle.) We're waiting to replace our 9 year old Dell.

2. macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

i would have thought it should be replaced soon, it normally runs along with macbook specification, but currently the macbook is one step up on the mini!

if i were you, i would get an iMac, bare in mind that with the mini would would also need to get a screen, keyboard and mouse, webcam, speakers etc etc... the iMac would seem a better choice, and is fairly cheap on ebay.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

We already have all of the peripherals, except for a webcam but we don't really need that.

4. macrumors 68000

MacSA

As big an Apple fan as I am, it pains me to say this, but I think the Mini represents the worst value computer you can by from any manufacturer in the world right now.

For example, here in the UK, I can get this from Dell:

Quad Core 2 duo, Intel Quad-Core Q6600 2.4GHz Vista Home Premium 2048MB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, 16x DVD +/- RW, Keyboard/Mouse. £379 Base Unit Only.

That's £20 less than the 1.8Ghz Mac Mini.

5. macrumors 65816

I definately agree. I'm waiting to get my first mac and I really want a cinema display to go along with it, but the mini is very underpowered, I think. I definately don't need a mac pro and want a cinema display so I guess I'm gonna have to wait for a mac mini update.

6. macrumors regular

The last generation mini had lagged behind the MacBooks for a long long time before the refresh in August. I expect they'll lag behind quite some time before they go Santa Rosa, as well. :( (there was a ten-month difference in the MacBooks going Core 2 and the minis; at that rate, they won't be SR until August.)

Anyway, I purchased a Mac mini (shortly after the refresh) because I wanted to have a very small nearly-silent machine, I already had a monitor and keyboard, and I wanted to give OS X a try. Even at the time, it was a little pricier than alternatives, but alternatives are larger and noiser. ;D

7. macrumors regular

Why the desire for an ACD? From what ive skimmed through on here theyre not worth the steep price.