Is Mac Mini likely to see an Update before end of year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phytonix, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. phytonix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    #1
    Is it possible for us to see Mac mini be upgraded or price dropped before mid-Dec?
    Buyer's guide is neutral right now.
    Core 2 Duo is out and even if Mac mini is not going to be C2D, I wish we could see $499 price tag again. Or all stay the same, 1G RAM and all SuperDrive.
     
  2. JAT macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2001
    Location:
    Mpls, MN
    #2
    No. It just had a minor update, erasing the Core Solo.
     
  3. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

    Mac-Addict

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #3
    No. I dont think the mac mini will get core 2 duo. I think apple will skip it or put it in when prices drop because the mac mini is meant to be a striped down mac at a low price so I would say no. Buy now
     
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #4
    I'd agree that an update before the end of the year is unlikely, but an update in January or February on the other hand does seem likely. So it's the usual choice of months of waiting vrs small increases in specs.
     
  5. phytonix thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    #5
    Well I will probably wait anyway. It is gonna be a holiday present. No reason to buy now. Praying for apple to drop some price on Mini...

    Is it possible we get any discount for Thanksgiving?
     
  6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #6
    Only if you show up at an Apple store with a turkey with all the trimmings.

    And pie.
     
  7. aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #7
    FWIW, you can get it from Amazon w/ a $50 rebate and no sales tax (a $30 "discount" in my state).
     
  8. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    I thought there were supposed to be price drops on the core duo chips now we have Core 2, which oddly seems to be the same price as the older core duo chip.:confused: :confused:
     
  9. phytonix thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    #9
    I know that... I am in VA too...
    Problem is I want to upgrade the memory to 1G. $69 to do that at Apple.com and total memory of 1G. Buy 1G memory somewhere else cost about $129 total memory 1.25G or 1G depending on whether 2X512 or 1x1G.
     
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #10
    I believe that we'll see an update to both the Mac mini and the MacBook before the end of the year but it's unlikely that the price will drop to $499 any time soon.
     
  11. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #11
    Honestly, you might just see a bump in processor speeds and HDD space. But that's all.
     
  12. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

    slackersonly

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #12
    Yeah. There just isnt much to upgrade for this price point.
     
  13. phytonix thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    #13
    :rolleyes: then no upgrade, drop price!
     
  14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #14
    The iMac really needs to move to another chip line before we'll see any major improvement to the Mac mini.

    Otherwise I can expect to see another Core Duo bump and Leopard in 2007.
     
  15. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #15
    No, it won't be updated until sometime next year.
     
  16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #16
    They could update the chipset and put in the new X3000 without changing the CPU specs at all. I could also see going to 1gb RAM standard. Other than that, I agree there's not a whole lot on the machine to update without a radical redisgn.

    I think we'll have to wait till MWSF to get above updates, though. Would fit the schedule OK. Keep the 1.66 and 1.83 CD, same HDD and optical drives, new GPU, more RAM standard, and drop prices $50-100 on each line.

    That would make the mini pretty attractive again.
     
  17. Tourist macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #17
    Mini's and Macbooks will probably move together, but like everyone else I think we are just whistling in the wind to try to fix a date,

    As has been said a million times already it is all in the hands of the black turtle-necked one, and he aint telling :)
     
  18. sushi Moderator emeritus

    sushi

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    キャンプスワ&#
    #18
    So true! :D

    I would think that the next updates will be in January/February timeframe.
     
  19. roadapple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    #19
    I would think the Airport spec would be bumped at some point to work with the iTV when it is released, may be a silent upgrade.
     
  20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

    Swarmlord

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #20
    I'd vote for the improved GPU also.
     
  21. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #21
    Of course, if they upgraded the line to 2.0 and 2.16 GHz, I think they could keep the price.
     
  22. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #22
    It's possible, but if you are willing to wait until January it is likely you will find discounts on minis that were given as presents and returned.
     
  23. gigiuk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2006
    #23
    Not until 2007. Get a refurbished that'll be the price drop.
     
  24. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

    ezekielrage_99

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #24
    I think it's more of a case where Apple has to put whatever processor that Intel has to offer. Apple may be wanting to keep the Core 2 Duo in the iMacs and MacBook Pros and leaving the Core Duos for the Mac Mini and MacBooks however Intel is really putting the push on the Core 2 Duos so Apple may not even have a choice.
     
  25. phytonix thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2006
    #25
    MacBook has C2D now. I guess it is likely C2D Mac mini be released before Thanksgiving.
     

Share This Page