Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Is it possible for us to see Mac mini be upgraded or price dropped before mid-Dec?
Buyer's guide is neutral right now.
Core 2 Duo is out and even if Mac mini is not going to be C2D, I wish we could see $499 price tag again. Or all stay the same, 1G RAM and all SuperDrive.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
No. I dont think the mac mini will get core 2 duo. I think apple will skip it or put it in when prices drop because the mac mini is meant to be a striped down mac at a low price so I would say no. Buy now

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'd agree that an update before the end of the year is unlikely, but an update in January or February on the other hand does seem likely. So it's the usual choice of months of waiting vrs small increases in specs.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Well I will probably wait anyway. It is gonna be a holiday present. No reason to buy now. Praying for apple to drop some price on Mini...

Is it possible we get any discount for Thanksgiving?

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I thought there were supposed to be price drops on the core duo chips now we have Core 2, which oddly seems to be the same price as the older core duo chip.:confused: :confused:

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
FWIW, you can get it from Amazon w/ a $50 rebate and no sales tax (a $30 "discount" in my state).

I know that... I am in VA too...
Problem is I want to upgrade the memory to 1G. $69 to do that at Apple.com and total memory of 1G. Buy 1G memory somewhere else cost about $129 total memory 1.25G or 1G depending on whether 2X512 or 1x1G.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I believe that we'll see an update to both the Mac mini and the MacBook before the end of the year but it's unlikely that the price will drop to $499 any time soon.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The iMac really needs to move to another chip line before we'll see any major improvement to the Mac mini.

Otherwise I can expect to see another Core Duo bump and Leopard in 2007.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
They could update the chipset and put in the new X3000 without changing the CPU specs at all. I could also see going to 1gb RAM standard. Other than that, I agree there's not a whole lot on the machine to update without a radical redisgn.

I think we'll have to wait till MWSF to get above updates, though. Would fit the schedule OK. Keep the 1.66 and 1.83 CD, same HDD and optical drives, new GPU, more RAM standard, and drop prices $50-100 on each line.

That would make the mini pretty attractive again.

Tourist

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
I believe that we'll see an update to both the Mac mini and the MacBook before the end of the year but it's unlikely that the price will drop to $499 any time soon.

Mini's and Macbooks will probably move together, but like everyone else I think we are just whistling in the wind to try to fix a date,

As has been said a million times already it is all in the hands of the black turtle-necked one, and he aint telling :)

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
I would think the Airport spec would be bumped at some point to work with the iTV when it is released, may be a silent upgrade.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
They could update the chipset and put in the new X3000 without changing the CPU specs at all. I could also see going to 1gb RAM standard. Other than that, I agree there's not a whole lot on the machine to update without a radical redisgn.

I think we'll have to wait till MWSF to get above updates, though. Would fit the schedule OK. Keep the 1.66 and 1.83 CD, same HDD and optical drives, new GPU, more RAM standard, and drop prices $50-100 on each line.

That would make the mini pretty attractive again.

I'd vote for the improved GPU also.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Well I will probably wait anyway. It is gonna be a holiday present. No reason to buy now. Praying for apple to drop some price on Mini...

Is it possible we get any discount for Thanksgiving?

It's possible, but if you are willing to wait until January it is likely you will find discounts on minis that were given as presents and returned.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I thought there were supposed to be price drops on the core duo chips now we have Core 2, which oddly seems to be the same price as the older core duo chip.:confused: :confused:

I think it's more of a case where Apple has to put whatever processor that Intel has to offer. Apple may be wanting to keep the Core 2 Duo in the iMacs and MacBook Pros and leaving the Core Duos for the Mac Mini and MacBooks however Intel is really putting the push on the Core 2 Duos so Apple may not even have a choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.