Is Mac OS X Leopard going to be a Universal Binary?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Balli, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

I was just wondering if there is going to be only one version of 10.5 that works on both PowerPC and Intel chips, or will it be like it is now with Tiger?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A Universal Binary of the entire OS would be huge ... what a way to make the GBs melt away. :eek:

3. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't really think there was a size difference with Universal Binary software. As all the updates to the programs I use are roughly the same sizes after they were made into Universal Binaries.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The current Tiger is a Universal Binary. Hence, I am using it to run my Intel Mac. Of course Leopard will also be a Universal Binary, supporting both Intel and Gx machines.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sorry never mind/ we will suffer with Fat Binary bloat until Apple decides the PPC has met its life -- 3-5 years.

6. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I think your a little confused. Tiger is not a Universal Binary. There are currently 2 versions of Tiger, one for PowerPC and one for intel machines.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I see that I am not only confused, but just plain wrong.

I had noticed one day that there weren't two versions of OS X at the Apple Store online, so I assumed incorrectly. I suppose it makes sense that OS X for Intel isn't yet sold in a box as they all come with Tiger both installed and on CDs anyway.

Yup, I am wrong. Tiger in a box only supports the Gs.

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I think the question is "Why wouldn't Leopard be a Universal Binary?"

9. dylan macrumors 6502

I don't think the OS can be a Universal Binary. At least not realistically.

10. pianoman181 macrumors regular

All dvd's shipping with intel macs are universal. The OS can be installed on both intel and ppc based macs. So yes, 10.5 will be "universal." In the retail box, there will be one dvd that will install on G4, G5 (still G3 maybe?), and intel machines.

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

http://rentzsch.com/tidbits/intelbasedMacBootIncompatibility

What did you do to install the Intel build on PPC hardware? :confused:

I disagree that there will be one DVD if only to slow down the inevitable pirating of it on beige boxen.