Is Macbook Air to weak

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nixon Face, Jan 18, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    Im ready to by, but I was reading how Macbook Air is weak. True? Alls I needs is to email, web, movie, and play the games. Will it do?
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Depends on "the games" and which MBA you want to buy.
    So, what are the games you want to play and what MB do you want to buy?
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    I by littlist one. I play hardcore games like World of Warcraft.
  4. foiden, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2008
    All Airs can play WoW, but it just matters how high the settings you want, and how much of a demand do you want for higher frames in super crowded places (like how Ironforge was/is).

Of course, there's settings to make it run nicely on any of the Airs, but it really depends on how many bells and whistles you plan to apply.

The big time graphic games will generally run, but with the big stuff you have to set some lower settings and such. Crysis has been demoed on a 11" Air, with lower settings. On the other hand, COD4 has been shown running on better settings with surprisingly good results.

WoW is a fairly low-demanding game. It has a decent look on low/medium settings, and usually those are easily handled by the 320M in there.

Take note, quite a few of the more graphically demanding games run better in Windows 7 (Which is the Windows OS that you must use if putting one on an Air, given that the previous ones were not written with SSD support. Apple knew that so they don't support Vista/XP on the new MBA bootcamp).

If you check Youtube, there are various vids showing the 11" performance on games, along with settings used to make them happen. Some games are good at defaulting to what you want. (eg. Starcraft 2). Others underestimate the system.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    What is 320M? Is that the cmputer I should by to play the World of Warcraft? Also the RPG games fallout and mass effect?
  6. C64
    macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2008

It can run WoW, so sure.

Maybe on low res; these games are a lot heavier.

The MacBook Air is NOT a gaming machine

If you want to play games, buy a desktop PC or a 15lbs Alienware laptop.
  7. foiden, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2008
    The 320M is the graphics processor used in the new Macbook Airs.

Also, this thread would be one good example to see how that little 11" can run things.

Now, that maybe just one video (borderlands), but he is releasing a slew of new 11" gaming videos.

Take note, some things dont run as well in MacOS. Blizzard games like their WoW and Starcraft 2 are exceptions, as they pretty much do rather well in OpenGL (The Mac OSX library you can kind of equate to Direct X on the PC).

But yep. The thread starter asked the question in a way that it seems they know it's not a *gaming machine*, but still wants to know what the limitations are given so that if they just find they want to run something, that they can still run it, even if they have to turn stuff down.

Mass Effect and Fallout are things meant to play on a good number of machines, as long as you're willing to keep settings down far enough to make it playable. You're fortunate you asked for those. They are heavier than WoW or Torchlight (games meant to play on just about anything released today), but those 2 specifically have been known to run better than expected on lesser machines (with the right settings).
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    Oh i didnt know. ok i will go look at the alienwares 15lbs.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    i dont see 15lbs at alienwares site. You mean M15x?
  10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    i think m15 is too fat. I want Apple caomputer i think. to look cool and play the world of warcraft even if i can't play fallout and mass effect.
  11. macrumors member

Apr 22, 2010
    HAHAHAHA. Good luck to everyone in this thread.
  12. macrumors 65816

Sep 29, 2008
    United States of America
    I would buy it if that's the most intense game you really want to play just keep the settings at normal or low.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2009
    dude... 15lbs is the weight... the 320M is an integrated GPU... maybe do SOME research before you ask anything? Or think(pad).........?
  14. macrumors regular

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I was thinking the same thing
  15. macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2010
  16. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Oct 14, 2010
    is there not an age min to post a thread on this forum? ... or IQ at least? :cool:
  17. macrumors 603

Oct 5, 2008
    This topic should be deleted. What a waste of space.
  18. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    Haha. lol

OP, I don't think you should be getting a MBA for your uses. You need to be specific with what you want to do with your computer.
  19. macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2008
    Monterey, CA
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2011
    this thread has been pure comedy for me. if it bothers you don't read it.
  21. macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2007
    how will i know if it bothers me if i don't read it?
  22. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011

You're both right though. It's comedy, and probably should be deleted.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2010
    If you want to check out gaming performance on Macbook Airs, I suggest you check someone out on youtube called, theunits3. I believe he showed: Black Ops, COD4, Starcraft 2. A few other games, I can't list them off the top of my head. It will give you a general idea of what it can play.
  24. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
  25. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2011
    Jeez guys no need to be mean, i get it macbook air cant play games but its still the littlist right? like i said evn if i cant play the fallout or mass effect i want macbook air.