Is Macbook pro capable to be use as daily design working tools?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LutFi, Feb 4, 2007.

1. LutFi macrumors newbie

I have some questions for Macbook Pro user.
    I have plan to change my desktop computer to Macbook Pro Core2Duo for daily design working tools:
    usually I use Adobe Creative Suite for my PPC. also use it for internet. and sending files using FTP.

Questions:
    1. Is Macbook pro capable to be use as daily design working tools? I usually work about 12 hours in front of the computer.
    2. Which one is better 15" or 17" with 2 GB Ram? is 2 GB ram enough for Adobe CS?
    3. How about the heat? I heard Macbook pro is hotter when we pluged the power cord? Will heat become problem when use 12 hours daily?
    4. Can I use my old Adobe CS with good speed in Macbook pro?
    5. I heard that Macbook pro can be used with 2nd monitor? How big it can be handled?
    6. how is the fan sound? is it quiet?

That's all my question for now.
    Thanks in advanced.

LutFi

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Adobe Creative Suite will run fine on a MacBook Pro. It will take a while to open and it can be a bit slow in usage as it's running in Rosetta emulation (CS3 will be Universal and should be out later this year). 2GB of RAM is a good amount and will limit the speed decrease from running CS2 in Rosetta.

The 17" MBP will be faster but I don't know to what extent you would notice the difference.

The MBP does get hot but it's not a problem, they're designed to be used well and any heat from normal use would just be blown out by the fans.

The MBP (all MBPs) can run an external monitor up to 2560x1600 - I don'tknow of any monitors larger than that on the market today. It will power either the Dell or Apple 30" LCDs with no trouble whatsoever.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well I'm hoping CS3 comes out soon, because I'm a GC student now, but have been doing several design projects lately in my free time, and have really noticed the lag. When working on a website, I have Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and Photoshop (the CS3 version) all opened at the same time, and can definitely tell that my computer gets sluggish. When working on brochures and such, I often have InDesign and Photoshop open, and the other day I actually had to shut down because between those two and my other randoms (Safari, iTunes, Adium), the system had "run out of memory."

Granted, I only have 1.25GB of RAM, so you'll be better off from the start, but just be aware of just how much RAM those PPC programs use, and that if you multi-task programs often (which I imagine you do), you'll be wishing you had a more powerful computer with more RAM - at least until CS3 comes out.

4. munckee macrumors 65816

My vote is not to bother moving to an intel based system until CS3 comes out IF that's your bread and butter. Like others have said, you basically can't run the design suite one program at a time and actually get any work done. I figure by waiting, you'll be using the hardware with the software that was made for it. And you'll get the most up to date system because you didn't purchase "in advance".

Rumor has CS3 sometime in the spring. Probably april/may-ish?

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

What your current set up?

If your set up is decent(as in a MacBook Pro with Rosetta would be be slower or equal to it) then wait for your Apps to go Intel.

You'll end up with a faster computer and possibly 10.5

If you set up is a old G3 or old G4 buy now

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That system would be fine for what you're doing. Frankly, I'd be more concerned with screen size because with design apps screen real estate is essential. I'm running a quad intel now with 2Gb of ram, and it feels similar to my previous dual G5 with 1 Gb of ram. This is obviously because of Rosetta emulation, but the speed is plenty and nothing to scoff at. I think you'll have plenty of power, and when the intel native versions do come out, you'll be smoking.

The idea that you won't be able to run a lot of apps at the same time simply isn't true. I've usually got about eight or more apps running, including various design apps running through rosetta.

7. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

You can absolutely use it as your main machine, I use a macbook with 2GB of RAM as my main machine, I just hooked it up to my 22" Apple Cinema Display and I do everything including Photoshop on it. The MBP would be even better because of the dedicated graphics. From someone who uses one every day as a desktop, trust me, it will work great.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

What matters is the ram, years ago processors stopped becoming an issue for 2d programs (unless youre running filters left and right, which hopefully you arent). As long as you get enough ram then youll be totally fine. Its a good idea to get an external keyboard and monitor if youre going to be working on it for so long.

10. seany916 macrumors 6502

If you don't need it, hold off and wait for a bit. Wait and let the future catch up to your wants. Then they'll be justified "needs" ;)

If you do need it, it'll run fine. I don't like running PS on my 15" screen.

PS is NOT an "on the go" program for me, unless you need to do it on the spot for work. I prefer to be comfortable and have a larger screen to work on for video & photo editing.

I'd rather do it on my G5/ 20" or MBP plugged into Cinema.

11. shecky Guest

shecky

what are you talking about? the 15 and the 17 are the same speed if you opt for the same processor.

12. LutFi thread starter macrumors newbie

Chundles: Thanks for the reply.

xfiftyfour: I'll keep your RAM suggestions. Thanks.

munckee: I really agreed with you. I'll be wait for CS3 then buy MBP.

zap2: My current setup: MacMini PPC. 1.42Ghz with 1 GB Ram. with 19" Samsung LCD. (I don't like the size and weight of MacPro / iMac). Still working fine, but I have plan to change to something more portable.
    I don't want to upgrade to 10.5 because I'll have to find my old scanner and printer driver again.

decksnap: I'll keep your screen real estate suggestions. Thanks.
    WillJS: wow, really how did you get that?

Maxwell Smart: Your reply is make me want to buy MBP a.s.a.p. Thanks.

stainlessliquid: External Keyboard and Monitor, yes that what I want to setup. also external mouse.

seany916: It seems I will keep your suggestion to use MBP plugged into Cinema. Thanks.

shecky: Thanks for the reminder.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MBP is definately faster in Adobe apps, even when emulated than your mini.

Actually, iMac takes much less space than a Mac mini + display does ;) EVen if the iMac is 24"

Nonsense. Graphics card performance doesnt make any difference in such apps as Adobe CS.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh yeah, whoops. Thought that the mid-range was 2.16 and the 17" was 2.33GHz.

Ah well.

15. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Sorry but Google and this Forums Search function are your friend!

16. LutFi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea right, I've done it before I posted here!! but I really need another input from direct user!

17. LutFi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I know that, but still personally I don't like iMac.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I find my MBP to be quite usable for designing and graphics, much more usable than the iMac in my signature. I personally am fine with the 15", but I wouldn't want the extra weight of the 17" because I'm a student, but the weight doesn't matter for you, so I'd suggest the 17" if you're not going to be using it with an external monitor a lot. When I max out the processors, it gets up to 180F, normal temps are about 110 - 120 or so, if you don't max out the processors, then heat shouldn't be an issue.

Here are my photoshop test results for a benchmarking script I used in photoshop (MBP is using it under rosetta)

iBook G4 14"/1.33GHz G4/768MB/60GB 4200 RPM/

over 10 minutes

MacBook Pro 15"/2.0GHz Core Duo/2GB/80GB 5400 RPM/

just under 4 minutes

(CS3 beta results are roughly 1 minute 20 seconds)

The MBP can handle a 30" display with ease, and that's the biggest they go for monitors right now. With the fan speed at 1000 RPM, it's whisper quite, 4000 RPM is just a tad bit louder but still really quite quiet, 6000 RPM is quite loud and very noticable.

(Note: the Core Duos run slightly hotter than the Core 2 Duos)

19. LutFi thread starter macrumors newbie

This is kind of good input from direct user that I've been looking for.
    iBookG4user, Thanks for the time and temperature benchmark. I really appreciate this.

20. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Glad I could help :)