Is MacOS for me?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rcn, Nov 30, 2006.

1. rcn macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am writing to listen to your advice. I am almost decided to buy one of those macbooks. I currently use Linux and Windows and NetBSD, and this is what I expect from the macbook+MacOS. Should I go for it?

- MacOS to take advantage and support well all hardware within the macbook

- MacOS GUI to be well integrated with the rest of the system (I mean software/drivers installation or updates, and system configuration)

- At the same time, MacOS to be a usable UNIX OS. I mean, running all the UNIX apps I am used to in Linux or NetBSD, such as:

bash
    vim
    gcc
    octave (IMPORTANT)
    lyx
    openoffice
    mysql
    gimp

- MacOS to be stable and quite error-free

- Software already included to: watch videos & DVDs, burn CDs/DVDs, listen to audio.

Any comment would be highly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I can say a definite yes to these, and I'm not sure about the rest.

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

Buy the MacBook, even if the OS doesnt suite your needs (it most likely will) you will have a beautiful computer to play with! :D

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I can say yes to these, and octave (IMPORTANT) looks promising.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Most of these are available via Fink (including Octave you'll be glad to hear). Just install the X11 environment that Apple supply with every Mac, download Fink Commander and you're away. The only obvious omission is Lyx, although that is available here

As for the other stuff, that's the thing that makes OSX such a great UNIX. It has all the media and commercial software available for it too.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

8. rcn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody for your fast answers :)

With all that said, I think I will get it. This may not be the appropiate place for this question, but... Do you think prices will raise much after xmas? It is because I should wait to have it until I do my january exams in order to study xD

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Apple are known for keeping constant prices only with the occasional change when they release new models.

10. nplima macrumors 6502a

Since the OP is an experienced *nix user it´s safer to tell the whole story, ie: Neooffice is a fork of Openoffice.org, made by a small team that is focusing on perfect integration with OS X. This software is Beta-quality, and it shows.

The original OpenOffice.org suite can be found at the usual place, built with no change from the other OS versions. To make it work properly with OS X, it runs on top of X11 thus losing a bit in style and consistency with its OS X surrondings. Copy & paste from other apps doesn't work.. it's like an alien application but it's a finished product.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The price will stay the same, though after Christmas (12th January to be exact) you will get iLife 07 instead of iLife 06, and possibly iWork '07.

Also OpenOffice themselves are currently porting OpenOffice so it will work on the Mac without X11, though it isn't ready yet.

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

iWork is only bundled as trial software with new Macs.

iLife is given free.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

fink is outrageously outdated.
    openoffice and gimp have OSX version, you need X11 to run gimp.

14. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This is true, I should have mentioned it. I've been using Neo Office for 2.5 years no with no issues whatsoever, so I tend to view it as just another program.

15. Queso macrumors G4

True for those apps, but the rest of rcn's requirements are mathematical and scientific programs which aren't Aqua'd yet if they ever will be. He's looking at OSX as "UNIX + other things", rather than how most Mac users see it, a general computer that happens to be UNIX.

Personally in his position I'd run it all in X11. You are then instantly familiar with the apps running on other UNIX flavours if your Mac isn't available.