Is MacRumors Too Popular?

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Oct 26, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm not saying we're bigger than anyone else... but the forums/members/traffic has grown... and there are more people now than ever before...

With that, I know some people have left, many have come... and the question comes down to...

Has MacRumors forums gotten too busy? Has it grown beyond the "comfortable" level? Does it discourage some participation? Or is all activity good?

arn

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've noticed the change in the forums, but it doesn't seem like its too much to me. And thinking on it, I don't know what would be too much, it a bit tricky to define.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well the number of 'useless' posters (i.e. those who jsut want to increase their post-count) have immensly gone up. And it has gotten a bit hectic.

I personally avoid threads with over 40~50 posts... most times they have just gotten filled up with an instant-messaging type conversation between two or three people, and the conversation rarely has much to do with the topic of that thread.

But again, that's just me. Some people seem to enjoy those kind of threads. I dunno why, but...

irmongoose

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Well I've noticed at certain times during the day (which I already told you in that post) the server is too busy and you have to wait a few minutes before entering the forums. Some forums that I have come across close the registration gates for a certain period of time, and then open them back up so they can keep out the riffraff. Maybe that is a viable option for you to do?

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Isn't that when the server is undergoing maintance?

irmongoose

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

No, in my other thread arn stated "Overnight at around 3-4am eastern time, the server tends to get busy due to overnight maintenance scripts... such as backups etc... during the daytime (EST) hours, it should be ok."

and the problem is happening during the day anywhere around noon-4 o5 pm.

7. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Re: Is MacRumors Too Popular?

It's not too busy and I am still comfortable. I think the problem would be that there is no mac news. I am finding the rumors to be kind of boring. Look at these recent LCD rumors. It's not something someone is going to be crazy about and it also isn't something we are going to debate upon a lot. I would try to fine more things that can be debated upon rather than just cold facts :) Arn, you have gotten too good at editing the rumors ;)

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

ITs way to over populated, when we had 5000 members it was nice, but now there 13,000, and its getting out of hand regulares are leaving, I liked it back i the day, It was so cool everyone new everyone, its was fun, but its changed and its getting out of control, it must be near impossible for you to handle.

9. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Is it just me, or is a lot more newbies starting threads about pirated software?:confused:

And also, even though we have over 13,000 members now, over 3,000 signed up over the MWNY period, and over half of those only post occasionally. So even though macrumors has become popular, and more and more quick-tempered posters are posting, I don't see it as a bad thing.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its partially growing pains, once the newbies get up to speed with what is acceptable posting form, avoid personal attacks, etc. There has been some need to shut down a few more threads, but not all that much. I imagine things will settle out shortly.

D

11. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, as a thought, we could remove the recent comment links on the main page... still have article commetns linked per usual... but deemphasize the others... just brainstorming... thoughts?

arn

12. vniow macrumors G4

I think you should only do that when things get a bit more out of hand, in the past few dayd, we had a sure of newbies post, many who have registered months in advance and all they do is whine and insult people.

If it doesn't start slowing down an a couple weeks at the most, then remove them.

About every few days, I see another thread in the Wasteland and that's not a good sign.

13. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

nope

I think it is great how much traffic this site gets. You have to look at the big picture in this: more people on this site , reading this site and adding info to this site, means that more people are switching to macs or people are trying to. I mean atleast weekly we all see those threads about a new mac user or soon to be mac user asking questions, I think that is great! This all means that what apple is doing is working (advertising etc....). The mac community is growing fast and this site im sure is aiding the cause greatly.:D

-GaBe-O

14. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I've never agreed with people's post counts being tallied. When post numbers are put right next to people's names like that, it encourages associating # of posts with that person's "status" and it also encourages spurious and meaningless conversation which adds to the amount of useless junk posts in the forums. You can tell this happens by the number of newbies who say things like, "Well, I'm only a newbie, so don't flame me..." or "Well, I'm only a newbie, so I know my opinion doesn't mean much..." etc.

The same goes for account creation dates... useless information which only serves to strengthen class-based elitism. IMO, everyone having the same status (except those who buy their mugs) and everyone being on the same level ---> fewer junk posts and higher-quality threads.

Otherwise, Macrumors is neither too big nor too small for me... There's neither too much information to keep up with, nor not enough information to keep things exciting, and that's great.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Post count also gets in the way of avatar status. There are a few cases where members spam to get their post count up, but this is a very small number and its been easily handled. Removing post count won't make that much difference, member lables are fine - newbies aren't all 'new' to macs, and most people know that.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

With more people participating, it becomes more important that we can find what we want to read and filter out what we don't want to read. The categories that arn maintains are the first cut. It may be time-consuming, but the efforts to move threads, cut off duplicate threads, etc. become more important as the number of posts go up.

We can all help by using useful titles for new threads. Instead of titles such as

Well...I finally...
    I Have a Good Idea...I Think.

it helps if titles convey the subject.

If we took a vote, I'd vote to drop the display of post counts and the "rewards" for posting milestones.

17. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'm relatively new, so some of the MR vets may not agree with me (sorry alex_ant, i had to say it :D), but i think that the large ammount of traffic is a good thing. i really enjoy getting quick and plentiful responses to my threads and also like being able to help out others with their questions. i used to post at the "spymac" and "thinksecret" boards but there were too few posters to make it worth the trouble. i do guest posting over at "the mac observer" every once in a while and am fairly certain that i account for about 50% of the posts (threads go for weeks without responses).

the only posts i tend to skip over are those in the community discussion, as they can grow to 7-8 pages in length before i even know that they exist. meaningless posts are a nuissnace, but not too terrible and i think that the moderators could easily intimidate newbies trying to raise their post count.

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

commie. :p

i really don't know how to approach this...

on one hand there are way too many frivolous threads and posts. this makes the forums damn near impossible to manage yourself on. it must be hell for anyone who still has email sent to them in their active threads.

on the other hand, its great that the community here has grown and that this seems to be the best place for people to hang out and talk mac. i think alot of people on this board feel some sort of connection with at least one or two people also on the board.

maybe the llamas should just go to spymac ;)

i have yet to understand the avatar 'status' thing. it just isnt all that important to me. i didnt join this forum to get 500 posts and have an avatar. if i wanted an avatar i would have chosen a different community that just gave you an avatar. maybe thats why i really didnt even have an avatar until i had like 800 posts or something.

19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

What I think

I think there are too many people now. I miss when we had all the guys that talked to eachother, and pretty much knew eachother. Now, were overcome by people who post 3 times and never come back.

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I am for stricter policing. Maybe it would help stem the stream of attacks/useless posts if the Macrumors "vets" (as in those who have been around long enough to know all the rules) start warning the newer members more.

As for taking away poster status, that may be a bad idea. You would either have to abolish avatars altogether or grant them to every member, which may be bad for server load. As avatars have become rather integral with the avatar contests and all it may be a bad idea. How about just not displaying post count next to the user name?

21. MacJagger macrumors newbie

Although I´m a newbie I have to admit that a small forum is way nicer. I entered just a few days ago and saw a lot of spam posts and I can see a lack of serious discussions, that means to me no matter what the topic is people should not only post to say SOMETHING

22. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I haven't been posting nearly as much lately, and I think it's mostly because the community has grown sooooo much. I was starting to feel like if I wasn't around for a day I missed so much that it was hard to get caught up again. I mean, there's always been a little of that in certain threads (the poltiics ones especially)... but with sooooo many new members it's just hard to keep up.

Just my $.02.

23. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Traffic and Avatars

I hadn't really thought about it. The increased traffic (in and of itself) is not necessarily a bad thing--it is more the pointless posts that are a bit annoying. It does seem that if the goal is to cut down on pointless posts, people should not be rewarded for them. It certainly seems that people are racking up huge post numbers to get an avatar.

So there are three ideas that make sense to me:

1. Allow everyone to have avatars

2. Allow no avatars

3. Tie avatars to something other than post count. You could either connect it to length of time as a poster (e.g., 6 month minimum, maybe with a 50-100 post minimum), or purchasing something at the store.

I think any one of these would cut down on the pointless posts.

Other than that, I think it's probably a good thing that many people are interested in the site/topic. Reducing the number of annoying or pointless posts and threads is probably the ony bad thing. It's tough to cut through all the crap sometimes.

Chris

24. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Traffic and Avatars

But there are serious problems with each idea:
    1. The server load would increase by quite a bit, the forums would not have as organized an appearance either.

2. With the established avatar contests that could cause quite an uprising.

3. Avatars being tied to registration date could work out badly because of the number of inactive accounts. As for being a contributor, that would only piss people off and result in DGVPG 2.0.

The current avatar system should probably just be left alone. I think that more mods and/or stricter moderating is the key.

25. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

ARN

I would say that Macrumors is a very popular site because the topicas are well organize. I mean, there is a forum just for the comunity, one for hardware, another for software, and so on. That helps a lot spacially when you are trying to acces an specific kind of information. Most of the forums are not that well divided.

For example, I use to visit www.vjforums.com, the do not divide the vj software for mac or pc and that is a problem because I spend time reading information that at the end is for PC users.

On the other hand, visitors come here for different reasons. In my case I like to practice my english, have some important cultural exchange and finally talking about something I'm familiar with... Macs.

Some other people may visit the site to spend their time "chatting" and some others just looking for reliable information. In either case most of the people may get bored after a while or simply go on with their lives.

The point is that in Macrumor is easy to ventilate the information because the way the forums are structured. That is attractive.