Is Matrix Online A Failure?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/29/news_6130058.html

This link reports that the servers will be dropped down to 3, from 9. It also mentions that sales for the game were about $100,000. MXO was hyped. The trailers in the Matrix DVDs did pitch it as the next big thing. Reviews, sales and now this downsizing,..... state otherwise. This move makes it more manageable and cost effective, but its a sure sign that its not living up to it's potential. As well as Warner selling it off to SOE.

Its a shame. I was very excited about MXO. Do you think it will get better? Is there hope? Or will things just keep getting worse and worse for MXO?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sounds like it. If you have to ask, then it's probably true.

3. WillMak macrumors 6502a

the best mmo rpgs seem to be all castle like based: everquest, Ultima, Wow for example.

4. Macamus Prime thread starter macrumors regular

Well, City of Heroes seems to be doing really well. And City Of Villians seems to have TONS of potential. What with building your own secret base.

Your post pretty much sums up my feelings towards the current state of MMORPGs - the popular ones are Swords & Sorcery based. I have nothing against that, in fact I am a WoW addict. But, with the technology around, Virtual Playgrounds can be ANYTHING!

MXO, gave us the sliver of hope of MMORPGs being something other than "Kill dragon, save Princess, get Sword Of Blah (+5 Agility)" gameplay. MXO gave you the scenario of living in a world where you know what is really going on. You have the ability to tap into powers that will make you powerful. Having the choice of siding with the salves, enslavers or rogues.

The Matrix movies tapped into your imgaination and gave you a "What If" scenario that seriously ****ed with your mind. MXO gave me the hope of being apart of that "What If" experience. Now, it seems to be fading,....

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If a game starts out doing poorly, it's never going to improve. That doesn't mean you can't still play it and have fun doing so, though.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

it is quite a bad game. anything with the Matrix logo on it is destined to be bad, they have the first movie to compare with. tis a true cinematic marvel but now they're doing an EA and milking the whole thing for all its worth.

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think they first started the milk march when they produced Matrix 2.

Absolute fuff, and MXO has done little to resurrect any quality.

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

didnt they release the game while there were still plenty of bugs in it? Thats hardly gonna draw the players in :)

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

IT seems like everybody who is going to do an online game is already
    on star wars galaxies. So the matrix was too little too late.

10. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

You must mean an online sci-fi game...

11. iPoster macrumors regular

*Points to Battlefield and SW Galaxies* ;)

OK, the Battlefield games aren't pure RPG's, but they are MM and have persistent character ability gains/level ups.

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

In Battlefield getting new weapons does not count as an ability or skill level up in Battlefield bad player+good equipment/weapon=bad player while in most RPG game bad player+high levels and super good weapons=good player... or if not good at least effective.