Is Mavericks stable enough to use?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by HiFiGuy528, Jun 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Thinking about trying it out along with iOS 7 on my 2011 Air and iPod Touch. Is the beta version stable enough to use on a daily machine?

2. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

I hope so, because that's what I'm doing.

3. macrumors 65816

Drew017

It's pretty stable IMO, but don't use it as your main OS because it's a developer build. If you do make sure you have your data backed up ;)

4. macrumors regular

For me looks fine till now

Playing with it on my main MBP 17 inch since morning.

I haven't had any issues till now and feels very solid from my part.... till now...
    We'll see later.

I heard some complains but honestly for me it's so smooth that I think I will suffer if I have to revert.

I am not exaggerating but apps are more responsive and the scrolling is unbelievable.

Trim Enabler works fine also - which is good.

I cannot recommend it but I can share my experience.

5. macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Sounds good. How is iTunes scrolling? It's been turtle slow since iTunes 11. At least with a scroll wheel anyhow.

6. macrumors 6502

Installed it over my main OS. All my apps are working as expected :)
    Its been bug-free so far. Only thing that irks me is that the Time Machine menubar icon doesn't spin when backing up :)

7. macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Have had the Dashboard background gone missing and Mission Control stop working until a reboot. Other than that, it's been fine.

8. macrumors 6502a

The install will not ask you to backup all data and wipe everything out for a clean setup?

Can anybody confirm that it can be installed over ML and all data is preserved?

9. macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

To update it would be easier to just use the Installer.app. That will preserve everything.

10. macrumors 65816

w0lf

I can confirm that, installed fine over an existing ml install. They actually didn't really provide any other way to install it as far as I'm aware.

11. macrumors 6502a

Thanks I assume you installed using the App Store by redeeming the code from the dev center right? I do not see any other way to install.

12. macrumors member

travisbrowning

Running great for me so far on my 09 MacBook White. Running better than Mountain Lion, IMO.

13. macrumors 6502a

Seems to be better at saving my CPU from hitting highs looking at iStat Menus and so far only minor glitches. Worth my installing on my Laptop and, maybe soon on my Pro

Installed on a partition first to make sure the applications I needed functioned correct though

14. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Installed it over Mountain Lion and currently running it on my 2012 Air which is my main computer. Haven't noticed anything that's a major bug that would prohibit daily use so I don't anticipate restoring back to Mountain Lion.. yes, there's some minor quirks, like safari will freeze for a brief moment here and there but again in the grand scheme it's minor..

15. macrumors regular

I've been using in on my main mba (its really the only computer i have lol) and its been running great. There are quite a few bugs, but i haven't encountered anything that i can't work around.

Keep in mind my mba is used mostly for browsing, email and music. Im confident in using a beta os because my files are constantly backed up.

16. macrumors 65816

w0lf

If you aren't using it for work I'd say it could work as a main OS.

I haven't run into any bugs that prevent normal useage yet.

17. macrumors regular

The name of the main installer was OSInstall or was there another installer I should select?

18. macrumors 68040

petvas

I installed it today on my Macbook Pro Retina and had no issues whatsoever. I use my laptop for everything, but if I run into serious issues, I can revert to Mountain Lion any time I want to. Mavericks makes a great impression so far. I love the new Calendar app.

19. macrumors regular

I'm thinking of installing the 10.9 beta over ML on my early 2011 MBP as the only OS. This is the only computer I use.

For those who are using the beta exclusively, would this be a safe idea? I will back up with Time Machine before install, of course.

20. macrumors regular

Just be sure to back up your data. You should be good.

21. macrumors regular

Time Capsuled up to be on the safe side but so far looks good!
    Took up no extra space!

22. macrumors regular

Thanks! I will post here when I'm done.

23. macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I used THIS to put my entire /Users folder on its own partition so fresh installs don't kill my data.

A full day in I have put it through its paces with Safari, Transmission, Handbrake, all the iLife and iWorks apps, Filebot, Max, Quicktime, iTunes, Messages, etc... Most running simultaneously, and I can honestly say that other than Safari hanging for a couple seconds here and there I haven't ran into any reason not to keep it as my main OS.

24. macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Everything has been working just fine for me apart from some steam games which are laggy as hell.

25. macrumors member

Anyone tried Better Touch Tool and/or Keyboard Maestro on Mavericks yet?