Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Backed up my data and did an install over 10.8.4 on a 2012 MBA. It runs, but I do notice the following:

- App Store will no longer open / turn on. Shows 1 update available, but no matter how many reboots, still bounces but won't start.

- Notification center worked upon initial reboot. Now does not. Similar behavior, will not load.

- Time machine no longer "spins" when backing up

Office 2011 (latest update), iPhoto, Aperture, Mail, and latest iTunes I can confirm are all working.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I did a clean install, gave it 40GB to start with for now. Honestly, I can not bring myself to even quit and reboot Mountain Lion after installing Mavericks. This is literally the best performance I have gotten on my machine ever, and I originally had so many issues with it back when Lion came out. Every app I've reinstalled seems to be working okay so far.

But that probably has a lot to do with the sandboxing. Someone in another thread mentioned that Bartender doesn't work, but PopClip and others that I've bought in the Mac App Store work fine.

JDBN

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Canada
I did a full upgrade on my main system - stupid but I'm in love with what I have seen/heard so far.

It's faster, more responsive - seems pretty sweet, albeit the small bugs.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
- App Store will no longer open / turn on. Shows 1 update available, but no matter how many reboots, still bounces but won't start.

I had a similar issue, but then I loaded up the Airport utility and it told me I had an update for it (6.3), and that solved the issue with the App store, the update proceeded fine after that point. YMMV.

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
After roughly 12 hours of use, I notice Finder crashes a lot. The simple act of opening a finder window and scrolling down All My Files makes it crash. Other than that everything's swell.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
After roughly 12 hours of use, I notice Finder crashes a lot. The simple act of opening a finder window and scrolling down All My Files makes it crash. Other than that everything's swell.

Just curious. What machine are you using, and was it upgrade or clean install? I'm on a mid-2009 13" MBP, clean install, and I haven't experienced any crashes in the 24 hours I've been using it.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield

That window doesn't scroll for me with mouse; I have to use the scrollbar. Documents etc. all work correctly.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
2 days of hard core usage

I still am running very smooth with DP1.

Shutdown is slow though and startup is a little slower than ML - although I don't really care about these so much.

I only had once a small graphic issue when the menu bar didn't refresh for like 1 minute or so and there was no text then all of a sudden it reappeared. It happened once only.

I mainly ran Lightroom 5, PS CS6, Some Album design SW, Safari, iTunes, uTorrent, VLC, OnONE Perfect Suite, FCP X, Mail, FaceTime and Messages.

One thing I notice quite clear is the response of menus and actions in applications in general. I tend to have some lag when opening an App or something moves slow. Now... I am very very impressed.

Mavericks is as ML should have been. But this is just beta. We'll see how it ends up in the final version. I had experiences when some DPs were faster than GMs.

These I used extensively. Battery life has improved but just a little (maybe it's an illusion) however I find my fans spinning much less than before.

It seems like some improvements are working on the CPU load. I will see later on.

5pencer

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Rolling back to ML

Hi,

I installed this yesterday over ML on my 27 iMac (mid 2011)

My OS is installed on external 2TB Thunderbolt Velociraptor, and before now it was super fast at almost everything.

After Maverick, it's very sluggish. Many apps don't open, I just get the bouncing icons for about 50-60 seconds then nothing.

I also noticed WD Utilities doesn't even see the Raptor connected?

So, I've decided to roll back my iMac - for now at least. I also put Maverick on my rMBP. So far that works very well. Nice and smooth browsing in Safari etc.

Looks like Maverick doesn't like being on the external thunderbolt raptor.

Does anyone else have Maverick installed on an external thunderbolt drive?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Perhaps. But I'd say a lot has to do with the fact you did a clean install.
I didn't do a clean install and also have much better performance and battery life than every before on my 2009 MacBook.

But to answer the general question: No beta should be relied upon. Be prepared for things not to work or, worse, for implementations to change that affect data you hold.

juicywaterhouse

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2010
Southern California
Going from DP"X" to GM

Can anyone confirm if this will be possible? My understanding is that it isn't. How do you guys (gender neutral) who did not install it on a partition, plan on going to the GM?

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I still am running very smooth with DP1.

Shutdown is slow though and startup is a little slower than ML - although I don't really care about these so much.

I only had once a small graphic issue when the menu bar didn't refresh for like 1 minute or so and there was no text then all of a sudden it reappeared. It happened once only.

I mainly ran Lightroom 5, PS CS6, Some Album design SW, Safari, iTunes, uTorrent, VLC, OnONE Perfect Suite, FCP X, Mail, FaceTime and Messages.

One thing I notice quite clear is the response of menus and actions in applications in general. I tend to have some lag when opening an App or something moves slow. Now... I am very very impressed.

Mavericks is as ML should have been. But this is just beta. We'll see how it ends up in the final version. I had experiences when some DPs were faster than GMs.

These I used extensively. Battery life has improved but just a little (maybe it's an illusion) however I find my fans spinning much less than before.

It seems like some improvements are working on the CPU load. I will see later on.

Would you mind testing Premiere Pro and After Effects rendering using the GPU, like enconding a video file with GPU acceleration and a Raytrace 3D in After Effects?

Sorry if you don't know how to do that or if you can't, though :)

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Just installed it. It's fast. Like, really fast and snappy and responsive. There are still a few glitches regarding displaying other languages, but overall it feels very stable. System wide animations are a bliss, Launchpad animations are gorgeous, without those horrific resource hogging linen textures.
Safari feels great, scrolling in Mail is unbelievable as well.

This feels like rock solid OS. The Snow Leopard of its age and I'm running it on a late 2008 uMB.

shznit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
-Messages won't log into my iMessage account
-Spotlight dropdown sometimes doesn't appear on other monitors
-BTT crashes when trying to add app-specific gestures
-I can't find a way to disable 3 finger scrolling
-everything locks up when trying to change user icon

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
That window doesn't scroll for me with mouse; I have to use the scrollbar. Documents etc. all work correctly.

Ha so I'm not the only one! Must be a bug then. Icon view 'arranged by' anything other than none does not take input from my mouse scroll wheel.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Running very smooth on my 2012 MBP with SSD

Two issues:

1- iMessages won't accept user password

2- Doesn't work well with Java chat

Other than that, no other problems noted at this time.

njl89

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
Anyone try Starcraft 2 yet? That's the only thing holding me back right now.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
If someone could test these apps, I'd be really glad:
0) Jabber in iMessages - works
1) CoolTerm.app
2) Wineskin
3) Warcraft III
4) C&C Tiberium Wars

Thank you

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
Just curious. What machine are you using, and was it upgrade or clean install? I'm on a mid-2009 13" MBP, clean install, and I haven't experienced any crashes in the 24 hours I've been using it.

Clean install on a separate partition. Check my signature. 2.13GHz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.