Is Microsoft the new Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 16, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Microsoft
    Link: Is Microsoft the new Apple?
    Description:: If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it's business strategy.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

Uh, no. Microsoft is the same old Microsoft.

It's only the amount of tarnish that's new.

You know what they say about Apple's "halo effect"? Microsoft has that going on too, but their halo is like those clouds permanently situated over the Addams Family house.

3. macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I thought they already had retail stores around the nation? Walmart, Best Buy, Office Max, Staples.

4. macrumors 6502a

I don't bother reading anything by a journalist who can't get their it's/its straight...

"If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it's business strategy."

This essentially reads, "If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it is business strategy."

5. macrumors 6502a

Povilas

Only idiots can write such articles and only idiots can approve them.

6. macrumors 6502a

Be more specific. . .

If you specify a time in history, this aphorism can make sense. Microsoft is the new Apple (circa 1995-96). Its leadership is weak, its morale is declining, it has a confusing, convoluted product matrix, and it is making ill-advised ventures into obliquely-related areas and failing miserably.

Yeah, I'd say that Ballmer's Microsoft of 2009 is like Gil Amelio's Apple of the mid-90's.

And we all remember what Michael Dell said of Apple even as it was pulling out of this low point. . .

7. macrumors 601

Yvan256

So, what you're saying is that Microsoft is about 15 years behind the times, as usual? ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

So as Apple did, can Microsoft find its own visionary genius to come back, replace Ballmer, and raise the company to new heights of innovation?

Holding my breath, startiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing now....

9. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

You're brave.

10. macrumors 65816

alexbates

Opening Microsoft retail stores has nothing to do with how much better they are. All it does is give them the ability to show off (and possibly sell more of) their same old awful products.

11. macrumors member

You've got to be kidding me. Oh yes, Microsoft is the new Apple. I see people lined up around the block, salivating over Microsoft's latest offering, don't you? Why, people are so hyped that they're camping out, just waiting for the stores to open. Enough with the inane speculation, please.

12. macrumors 6502a

Povilas

Just pointing the obvious.

13. macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

It's essentially the same ol' Microsoft upto their usual antics. If you can't beat them, join them.

These Microsoft stores are going to be a flop, I can tell you that. Unless they are able to somehow give customers the vibe and "wow" factor we get when we enter an Apple store, they won't do much for MS.

14. macrumors 65816

steveza

You mean like this maybe? http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2005/dec/02/xbox360launch :p

15. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Microsoft has lots of money, a ton of profit generating IPs, a foothold in the majorty of US homes, and a lot of talent. All they need is the right set of conditions and they could very well be the next Apple.

16. macrumors newbie

17. macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I don't like referring to anything twice in a sentence. That's just how I roll :cool:

18. macrumors P6

twoodcc

not a bad article, though it didn't have to be in 3 pages. i like how it ended though, " is Microsoft the new Apple? The answer would seem to be a firm no, but it sure would like to be."

of course microsoft wants to be more like apple, but they sure don't want to admit it

19. macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Except, you know... Microsoft recorded it highest profits 6 months ago.. They actually had a 11% drop, down to $4.17 billion. Still, if you consider that failing, Apple doesn't even function.

Anyways, here are some pictures I've found for the prototype. It's a LOT bigger than a Apple Store, suprisingly.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors G4

Apple's visionary genius co-founded the company. In his second tour of duty, Steve Jobs had grown-up and brought much needed discipline to his old company. There is no one at Microsoft who fills the slot in its history that Jobs fills at Apple.

21. macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Bill Gates?

22. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And somehow still had to lay off 5,000 people.

23. macrumors 6502a

branjosef

It must of been all the bad employees

24. macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

Actually, it because the the R&D costs of the Entertainment and Devices Division has skyrocketed but it's profitability (so far) is minimal. Most layoffs were in that division.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 6502a

The thing though is 40% of customers are females and 2-4% are geeks and the rest usually care more about design and everything else so I'm thinking a MacBook Vs A Dell in a women's opinion she would go for the MacBook because of how sexy and innovative it is. Just like when the iPhone came out. 70% of the buyers were female and if you go to a school and mention iPhone everyone will talk about how they want one. So the best Microsoft will do is attract the: Gamers,MS Geeks,Affordable computing so that's is 60-70% of the population. Thinking about it 45% will be there for 360s and the rest will be looking at computing. So until Apple decides to advertise the iTunes App store they will be 2% behind Microsoft for retail profit. But if Apple really advertises the App store in their retail markets the income will sky rocket