Is MSN compatible w/mac as an internet provider?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Darby, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Darby macrumors newbie

I apologize if this is a lame question.:)

Is MSN compatible with iMac? I have called MSN, talked with a couple of people at computer stores, and looked online. I can't find a definitive answer.

Does anyone use MSN? Or know which ISP's for sure work...I am at a loss.

Thank-you in advance for any advice you may have!

Darby :)

P.S. I am a previous PC user (not since '95 :) and have been dreaming of owning a mac!) but am on webtv/msntv. I would like to use what they call the "MSN one plan" which allows me to keep my webtv and add a computer on the same isp.

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am not sure if they have the MSN software for mac. But, you could just set up an internet connection using their dial up number and your username and password. The downside is you would have to go to www.hotmail.com to check your email.

3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Yes. You have to put @msn (not msn.com, just msn) after your username (actually, it might be msn/ before the uname... don't really remember) in the PPP settings or Remote Access if OS 9.

4. rjrufo macrumors regular

All ISP's are compatible with Mac's, it's the software that they want you to use that may not be compatible. Even AOL's ISP is compatible with Mac's, but in order to use most of the features on AOL, you'll need AOL's software. You can use a web browser like Chimera or Safari to surf with an AOL dial up connection, same with MSN.

Besides, why would you want to use MSN? Go with any of the other ISPs out there, like EarthLink or whatever.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Check out these links

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/other/other_main.asp?embFName=msnia.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q221462

When I originally switched back to the Mac, I continued to use my msn account. What drove me to go with Earthlink was that I wasn't getting all of my e-mails. I had lots of problems with it that I couldn't solve.

So in the end, I bit the bullet and switched my "permanent" e-mail to Yahoo and changed my ISP to Earthlink. Now, I'm not tied do to any one ISP and I'll never have to change my e-mail addy again.

6. Darby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all!

Thank-you nospleen,geeyoueye,rjrufo,raok and all for your replies.

Darby :)