Is my 80GB iPod normal?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by amin, Oct 8, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can hear and feel the hard drive clicking more with this model as compared to my 3G and 4G iPods. I may be noticing it more since I hold it more often (to watch video), but I think there is an objective difference. I hope there's nothing wrong with it, because if I need an exchange I'll have to re-buy the skin (Best Skins Ever), which was tough to apply but worth the effort. The other thing I noticed is that when I select a song, it doesn't always play right away as it did with my 4G iPod. Finally, after the iPod is finished updating, the "do not connect" warning disappears automatically, which never happened with my other iPods.

Is all of this normal? Otherwise I love it. If QT Pro's export to iPod format were faster, the process would be perfect!
  2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006

There were a lot of reports early on with the 5Gs and "clunking" which is bad.

My 5g "clicks" a lot, when the HD is being used and it has been running great for a year (the 14th is its birthday). A clicking hard drive is to be expected. I tihnk you are just able to hear the clicking better on the 5Gs because of the thinner design.
  3. irregardless macrumors member

Sep 6, 2006
    all around you
    My 80GB seems to make more disk access noise compared to my previous 3rd-gen iPod. Also, the interface response isn't quite as instantaneous as my previous model. I don't know if those are problems or if that's just the way the 80GBs are. I've not really had a problem with it otherwise.

And for faster iPod exporting, try iSquint.