Is my Apple Pro Keyboard dying?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TMA, Jan 30, 2004.

1. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I seem to be having trouble with my Apple Pro Keyboard (came with the iMac when I purchased it) I did a quick search of the forums but didn't come across anything useful.

The following happen at random and VERY often:
    1/ Keyboard will stick on last letter I typed and keep repeating.
    2/ Keyboard will stop working all together.
    3/ Keyboard will stop typing some letters.
    4/ Keyboard will stop typing the last letter I use but others function.
    To fix it I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. Also the arrow keys seem to have died completely.

I've tried swapping between the 2 USB ports on my machine and i've also tried without a mouse plugged into any free ports with no luck. I'm using a Logitech wireless mouse without any problems at all on any of the ports. The keyboard is very dirty and full of dust/ash/crumbs/god knows what else, but from experience I don't believe this to be the cause. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening? Is there anything I could try that might help? Could the Keyboard be taken apart and re-assembled easily?

I had to unplug/plug back in 4 times to type this. :(

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated!
    Cheers,

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

it seems to me that if a key or letter keeps repaeting then it would be that your key is stuck. I'm not to sure about the other problems. Have you tried plugging the USB cable into the other USB port? Do you have any problems with the mouse? If so, i would say the keyboard is bad. I dout it but the USB port(s) could be bad, i would have no clue as to why though.

Good Luck

3. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Yep I tried the other USB port, same problems. I don't think there's anything wrong with the iMacs ports. I don't think the keys are sticking, once pressed the keys return to normal (i.e spring back up) just fine and it's not happening on any specific keys.

I think I'm going to need a new keyboard :(

4. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    <disclaimer: I know nothing.>

You should borrow someone else's USB keyboard before purchasing a new one. This should help you determine if it is indeed the keyboard and not something else.

5. jigglyjon macrumors member

the same thing happens here at our library. I say try and clean it or turn the keyboard around and give it a good shake. Also try looking inside the usb cable if there is anything inside thats messin with the connectors

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Same problem :(

I would like to test with another USB keyboard but I don't know anyone else with a Mac or if a friends PC keyboard would work(?)

I think when I get some spare time I will dissect it and clean it properly. Thanks for your suggestions folks :)

8. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I had an old peecee usb keyboard that worked with mine until... i got a wireless keyboard.
    Last weekend I cleaned mine by popping all of the keys off (if u have another keyboard to look at it helps putting the keys on) You then put the keys in some soapy water or sumthin. With the keyboard i vacuumed it and then used a paper towel with rubbing alcohol on it to clean it. Then pop all the keys back on and tada!

-Ted

9. lightboy56 macrumors newbie

apple pro keyboard

I had the same problem and I did a little digging in the keyboard. It already is almost dead, so why not? What I found is that the way I had packed it when moving from city to city, put stress on the cable right where it entered the keyboard.

Solution: grab one of your techie friends and have them cut the cable back about a half inch as to just where it enters the keyboard casing. You will have to come up with a way to put a strain relief on the cable, because apple molded the one for the keyboard straight onto the cable. your techie friend should be able to help with this. Then have him carefully reterminate the fresh end of the cable to the keyboard PCB board.

I did this with mine and it saved me from having to buy a new one. If it doesn't work.... well don't hold me responsible and check to see if your girlfriend or wife spilled coffee in the keyboard. Or try and remember if you spilled something in it.

Let me know how it works, or if you need any more help.