Is my computer any good?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eb6, Oct 27, 2006.

1. eb6 macrumors regular

I have to use a PC at my new job, (first one out of college). Can you tell me how good this computer is? Perhaps compare it to a current Mac setup. I'm not computer dumb I just don't know the ins and outs of intel processors and all of that. Thanks.!:)

[​IMG]

2. Kidman13 macrumors regular

Kidman13

3. eb6 thread starter macrumors regular

Sure? No.

4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

well lets see... you have plenty of ram. it isnt 64 bit, like new macs.

it is a mid range, aging processor you have, not the current model intel is shipping. so.... looks like they got a older pc model, or low-mid range and loaded it up with ram. so it wont be held up by processor.

honestly, it will run office fine, but you didnt say what graphics card it has.

either way, your still stuck with winblows and worrying about viruses.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If we were comparing it to a Mac, I would say it would come close to a maxed out 17" iMac C2D (discounting graphics of course).

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Gobs of RAM though! What kind of work do you do? Most work computers I've seen are around 256-512MB these days. Of course, I don't work in the graphics department...

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is a "is this piece of string a long piece of string" question.

It's better than some, worse than others.
    This would have been considered a top of the line business machine last year.
    So roughly equivallent to - say G5 Dual 2.0

It has been eclipsed by the Core 2 Duo machines now, of course.

That all means nothing, because the software that runs on it determines whether it is productive for you or not.

8. eb6 thread starter macrumors regular

Believe you me, I would much rather have a mac. I have a dual 2 PM at home, and I bring my 12" PB to work for itunes and whatnot. You should have seen what they had for me when I got here. Deathly slow, 512 ram, 20gb hd. I'm their sole in-house graphic designer. I made them get me a new one, I didn't have much choice in the matter. I did get two 19" dell flat panels though. Thanks for the replys, espcially the "no, its a pc!" one, very insightful.:D

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Glad to help. ;)

10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

not horrible, very fast pentium D, but sadly even the highest pentium D is matched or outperformed in benchmarks by the slowest 1.86 GHZ Core 2 Duo.

you do have tons of RAM though. All in all it should run quite well, if not for the whole windows thing :)