Is my dual 2.5 PM running too hot?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 50thVert, Aug 10, 2005.

1. 50thVert macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    hey every1,
    Im putting some pretty heavy loads on my new dual 2.5ghz PM, and the temp monitor is reading at 86*C for both CPUs and the fans are dead silent :eek:

Just curious, is this the normal output of heat for the G5? Im converting from the Athlon64 camp, where idle is normally around 35*C, full load is 60*C and if you hit 70*C kiss your cpu goodbye.

Can someone enlighten me?
  2. Xephian macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    On my PC, I always get around 60*C in gaming and full load. Specs in sig. Idle is ~46*C.
  3. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    It's normal, we don't have 9 fans + liquid cooling for nothing, do we :)
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    wow. from your description my athlon 64's running pretty damn hot...43 degrees idle with all my case fans full blast! (stock cooler) anyway, if it's 86 degrees celsius, yeah, i'd say that's incredibly too hot. did you check to make sure all fans are plugged in? one might have come unplugged or something. you havent experienced any thermally-induced shutdowns have you?
  5. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Homerjward, it all depends on your total setup. My athlon64 system was in a lian-li v2100b case with a xp-120 heatsink, 120mm x 38mm fan right on the heatsink, and a 120mm fan right beside it venting heat. :) She now runs about the same as yours because i put the stock HSF back on and put everything in a normal sized case.

Good to know my G5 is okay, even though thats still horribly hot for any chips to run at. I havent experienced any thermal hiccups, let alone shutdowns.
  6. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    No worries mate - Mac's run hot, they have for a few years now. My G5 sits between 65 -75 c when idle. Under load the temps are about the same as yours. The fans speed up initially but then drop back. They are a little noisier that idle but still, they are pretty quiet.

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
    And I thought my iMac G5 ran hot (50-65 Celsius at idle)...

Do PowerMac G5s run hot because they have two G5s right beside each other? Couldn't Apple have spaced them apart a little, so they don't share the heat?
  8. bigredsixer macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2005
    Wow that is hot. Even your 64 sounds like it runs hot. My Athlon64 runs idle at 25C and 35C when in full load. I have nothing but stock heatsink and fans. Giant case though. I should have my powerbook by tomorrow or Friday so I wonder how hot those run.
  9. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    It seems like this is normal for the PM, and if it is, it should be nothing to worry about. If the fans had run full speed, the processors could probably have been cooled down to the Athlon temps mentioned, but if it's not necessary, why make the extra noise.
  10. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    No wonder we don't have a G5 Powerbook. Say bye bye to your gonads.
  11. zakatov macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2005
    South Florida
    Is that thing watercooled? Those temps are awfully high. Here are my stats for a dual 2Ghz.

Attached Files:

12. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    hey if its covered don't worry about it.

just keep your stuff backed up. if crashes and burns then it'll be covered and you'll get a free one. :)
  13. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    I thought steve was overreacting when he said the G5s run hot, but my Athlon64 running at 2.7GHZ@1.6v gets 45C degree load temps with a XP-90 HS. Thats being overvolted and overclocked 35% and its only 45C degrees. Now if I wanted to run it at the stock speed of 2GHZ I could get it to lower 30s and in the high 20s if I safely undervolted.

If your CPU gets too hot it should have a safety mechanism that shuts it down (idk for sure but its a common feature nowadays)