Is my DVD NTSC or PAL ???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Col, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Col macrumors newbie

I burn my own home movie DVDs in iDVD and don't know if iDVD was set to NTSC or PAL in the Preference menu at the time of some of them.
    My home DVD player, plays both (and doesn't say what kind it is) but I often want to send copies to the USA friends & family and don't know if they will be able to play them.

Is there anyway that you can tell if my home burnt DVDs are NTSC or PAL in Apple's DVD player? or in any other software?

I found a similar question in this forum by another user that was answered by user ‘Sdashiki’ saying that:

Framerates would tell you:
    NTSC : 29.97 fps
    PAL: 25 fps

Screen size:
    NTSC: 720x480
    PAL: 720x576

This sounds like just the answer I need except, I can't find any of the above info on Frame Rates or Screen size in Apple's DVD Player Application.

Can Anyone help ?

Confused Down Under

Col :confused:

2. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

Hi.

I don't have an iDVD burned disc handy, but if I pop in a commercial DVD and launch DVD Player, I can go to FILE/GET DISC INFO and it tells me the Video Format(NTSC) and the frame size.

Hope that helps.

3. Col thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my Apple DVD Player App must be too old :(

Hey Pancake,

Thanx for the tip. I tried it with both a commercial NTSC Region1 DVD and also with a personal Home Movie DVD I burnt with iDVD.

With both, I launched Apple DVD Player version 4.0 (2003) and went to the drop down menu 'File' but the only 3 options I have are:
    'Open VIDEO_TS Folder...'
    & 'Close Media File' (GREYED OUT)
    & 'Close'

I'm thinking maybe my version is too old to have your option 'Get Disc Info'. What version is yours? I may have to pony up and buy it

Col

4. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

mine says version 4.6.5

I'm running 10.4, are you still on 10.3? That might explain it.

I don't know its late :)