Is my eMac a lemon?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by geese, Oct 6, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    I think my eMac was made on a Friday afternoon.

Not only is there this annoying iTunes problem posted in this thread but my computer is now randomly sleeping or crashing.

Basically, the eMacs screen will suddenly go dead. The power light is still on and the sound stops. I have to hold down the power button to restart.

I'm not sure what triggers this, but the last time it was pulling my headphones from the phones socket. Before that I was trying to compile something using BlueJ. Previous to that i was doing something in iTunes.

Did a hardware test, passed OK.

My machines only 4 months old, whats going on??? my old 5500 was a trusty workhorse!
  2. macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Reinstall OS X. If that doesn't work, call Apple Support. The clean install assures that its not a software issue, so your phone call will be covered for free under your 1 year warranty.
  3. macrumors 68040

Yes try the clean install, that could fix things, if that does not work you might have a bad logic board or power supply that is preventing the computer from waking up.
  4. macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Yes..I 3rd the re-install of OS X. I've setup a few brand-new out of the box Macs with bad installs of Mac OS X. I just re-installed OS X and everything worked fine.
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    I have one question. Did you install any third party memory? I have had problems with OS X and memory bought at the local computer store. Lock ups and kernel panics all stopped when I changed out the memory for a chip I got from Crutial.