Is my fear of dead pixels dumbfounded?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by intrepkid21, Jul 20, 2004.

1. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

I am probably doing to buy a 12" powerbook this week or next..and this will be my first purchase of a product with an LCD screen..

Given my bad luck with tech products (something is never the way it should be)..I have a bad feeling I am going to get a bad pixel..

I guess I am going to have to get over this..

How many of the macrumors people got stuck with a dead pixel on their notebook?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My 1999 G3 PowerBook, my 2002 17" iMac, and my 2003 20" Apple Cinema Display have a combined current total of zero dead pixels.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

It's always nerve-racking. When I purchased my new 12" PowerBook from a physical Apple Store, I took it home, and I knew, once I cut that clear tape sealing the box, I was stuck with it. Because I wasn't going to pay $160 to return it (Restocking fee). So, I finally just opened it, and it was fine. In fact, that computer is perfect. I'm really happy with it!

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

in total, we have bought 5 LCDs and none of them has ever gotten bad pixels. (my PB, the two LCDs for the desktops-NEC and Samsung, and my dad's laptop and his previous one) so i'd say it's a very small possibility. you might still get bad pixel, but very small chance. i just hope my luck holds in this LCD world. i'm a bit of a perfectionist, an having a bad pixel would drive me mad. :p

5. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I have had a 17" and 2 17" LCD displays. None of them have had bad pixles. Also two of my friends just bought 12" powerbooks, neither of them have any bad pixles either.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

The 12" PB is least likely to get dead pixels. I was a little concerned about this myself when i bought my 15". Don't worry about it. The guy i talked to at the store said the powerbook is the most popular computer they sell. And within the 6 months that he has been working there, there have only been 2 or 3 instances where a dead pixel has come up. It's not even like there were numerous dead pixels, there was about 1 or 2 from each of those 2 or 3 customers. Don't worry about it. Do yourself a favor and don't search like crazy for dead pixels, chances are if you have one and don't look for it, you will never know you have it.

7. Awimoway macrumors 65816

No, but your use of dumfounded (note correct spelling) is (or rather, isn't). It means "to strike dumb with astonishment." Does your fear of dead pixels astonish you? :p

Not trying to be a wiseass, but sometimes it's nice to know when you're misusing a word. I had to look it up myself before I posted.

That being said, you gotta take the plunge. Just make sure you buy at a place where they have a hassle-free return policy for something like that. I don't have a Powerbook, but my 20" Cinema Display has been dead-pixel-free for the 15 months I've owned it. Well, there was a two month spell last fall when one pixel in the bottom corner went white, but oddly enough it came back to life when I upgraded my OS from Jag to Panther. I still haven't figured that one out.

8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

It's spelled dumbfounded.

Anyway, my iBook, while I haven't had it for a very long time (a couple months now) is free of dead pixels (obvious ones anyway. I haven't gone checking though).

Really, don't worry about it. A dead pixel is nothing to fret over. It's how the rest of them work together, eh?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The more you fear and look for dead pixels, the greater your chance of getting stuck with the stuck-on pixels instead.

Seek them out and you will most likely find them.

10. Awimoway macrumors 65816

It's spelled both ways. The first dictionary I checked had only "dumfounded." The second dictionary (which I checked after your post) lists "dumbfounded" only as a secondary spelling.

11. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I have what seems a dead pixel or two right next too each other on my new 17" Powerbook.
    Anything I can do about it?

12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Good point. Where technology is concerned, lightning is attracted to fear. Don't fear the dead pixel.

13. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

i've never had a dead pixel but if you feel like looking for them there are programs on macupdate that will flash different colors full screen and you look to see if any pixels arn't responding link to macupdate search for dead pixel

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

You'll probably have to Google for it, but there is a technique that involves massaging your screen to get out dead pxels.

15. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

as far as i know that only works on stuck pixels. my pixels in question dont show any color :(

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think the word that's intended is actually "unfounded".

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd shy away from any technique that involves pressing on an LCD screen.

18. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

my friends 23in Cinema Display has one dead pixel on it. you only notice it when the screen is black. he doesnt seem to mind.

19. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

my 12" powerbook, my friend Luke's 12" powerbook, my teacher Phil's ibook 500, my other teacher Trisha's 15" powerbook, my friend Sacha's 17" powerbook, my friend Lucy's 17" imac and my friend Ed's 20 inch Cinema Display were all perfect and dead pixel free since they got them and still are to this day.

not to mention every other g4 imac, ibook, powerbook and cinema display that i have ever seen at a shop bar one!

one display out of alot! and let me tell you i have been to an awful lot of apple centres looking at display and macs!!!

your fears are usual but dont let them stop you getting that mac youv'e always wanted!

you'll be fine ;)

20. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i dont think there's anything that can be done about a dead pixel.. massagin only works with stuck.. and doesn't always work.

My pismo still has a near perfect screen.. :) *knock on wood*

21. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I don't think I know how to tell the difference between a stuck and a dead pixel.

22. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

If you're dumbfounded (struck dumb) you can't say anything until you're not dumbfounded anymore (otherwise you're not dumbfounded!).

Obviously he isn't dumbfounded because he's not dumb (meaning he can still speak). However, I guess this isn't really speaking, but I'm sure it still applies.

23. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    dead ones are usually black, stuck ones are usually stuck on one color..
    (Someone correct me if im wrong)
    like my friend's 23" has 1 that's green, and one that's blue (i think). He had 2 green ones, but i helped him lightly rub it and that one went away.

24. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Black = dead makes sense, but I've only ever seen stubborn pixels that were white (on displays including my Sony Clie). Never seen a black one.

25. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

This is my fourth PowerBook. Not a single dead pixel ever.

I wouldn't sweat it.