Is my hard drive clicking?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amycishere, Mar 29, 2007.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

I hear this one click every once in a while when I am viewing web sites and once in Pages, does this mean I have the dreaded hard drive click? And I need to start backing up?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't think anyone here can tell you one way or the other without actually hearing it but the fact that you suspect it is reason enough to backup your info and make your way to the nearest Apple store. conveniently enough, you can now make a reservation at the Genius Bar up to two days in advance.

3. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if this IS a hard drive click and the thing is that my apple store is no where near close and I really don't want to take it there unless I can determine if this really is a problem. Can anyone help?

4. mpw Guest

At some point your HDD might fail, clicking is often a pre-cursor so it could be. Don't worry though as you've got all your important stuff backed-up....don't you.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Just another voice to say "back up". Also, have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status?

6. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

See this is a brand new macbook after my first was declared DOA. It is like three weeks old. But I am thinking that one click might be just something the computer does sometimes as my old Toshiba laptop did it sometimes when on the net and stuff...is there anywhere I could hear what the hard drive click sounds like or is it multiple clicks because mine is just a one time thing.

7. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

the first hard drive i had in my MBP failed a few weeks after i got it, and my clicking would last for about 10 seconds, click after click after click. eventually, it got so bad that it would click repeatedly and lock up my MBP, and a restart was necessary. now, i occasionally get a single click when i'm doing random web browsing and stuff, but it doesn't concern me.

yet another voice for backing up, by the way. :)

8. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

This makes me feel sooo much better as it doesn't click for 10 seconds or anything just a a single random click.

9. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

still, make sure you check the drive for errors and such...better safe than sorry. :)

10. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Do I run the CD that came with it to do that?

11. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

Open Disk Utility and see if your hard drive's name is printed in red. If so, backupbackupbackup.

If not, backup anyway. Your hard drive will fail at some point. If you wait until then to make a backup, you will inevitably lose something.

As to your first question, the occasional click isn;t necessarily the writing on the wall for your drive. Its just the sound of the head snapping into place.

Again, the mantra of backup is the only way to go.