Is my HD f*cked?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Mar 23, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The title says it all. The HD is whirring in a regular pattern, and this is the output in verbose mode.

Code:
    Automatic reboot in progress
    Mounting local filesystems
    /dev/disk0s6 on / (local journaled)
    disk0s6: 0x8 (UNDEFINED).
    \mach.sym
    Configuring kernel extensions
    Jettisoning kernal linker.
    kextd: *** kextd (daemon) failed to start, received signal =10
    Starting virtual memory
    Resetting files and devices
    Cleaning up
    	/etc/nologin /private/tmpdisk0s6: 0x8 (UNDEFINED).

***configd (daemon) failed to start, received signal =10disk0s6: 0x8 (UNDEFINED).
    Can someone tell me just what this is, why the computer won't boot in X (can't find the CDs; panicking, still looking), why it sometimes gives a single beep at startup, and why it started doing this, especially given that it was working fine the day before it started? The only major thing happening between then and now is that it went through an Airport X-Ray machine, but it's done that before.
    This really, really bugs me, since I just paid $550 to get the screen replaced on this iBook (500, X.2.3 or 4 (don't remember)) ANY ideas at all? trying to fsck produces similar results.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Ouch, that definately does not look good, can it at least boot from a CD?

If it can't even do that, then it sounds like your logic board.

I've got a service manual for that model that describes some of the error beeps and such, lemme look.....

3. vniow macrumors G4

from the service manual

4. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Much appreciated, V. I know the single beep means no RAM installed/detected, but that's impossible since it then does the start-up chime.

Update: found the 9 CD -- it boots, but the Finder doesn't work: I see the battery and clock (which updates), and the CD icon on the desktop, but no HD, Trash(!) or anything I had on the desktop. HD is making a different, but still repetitive whirring.

5. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

More progress: the HD and Trash are on the desktop (but nothing that was there before), and the CD window is open, but HD still going on, and Finder is unresponsive to mouse click or keyboard input.

EDIT: alright, not completely unresponsive, and not just the Finder; it took a few minutes, but I finally got Disk First Aid open. Only problem is, it's as slow as the Finder: clicks take a minute to register. About to get it repairing, but it only seems to be working like it should for 1 second every minute

6. vniow macrumors G4

That's pretty hard to diagnose, could be logic board, coule be hard drive, who knows?

I'm starting to lean towards the logic board though, since (I think, correct me if I'm wrong here) that when you boot off of the OS9 CD it runs from the CD and doesn't load anything to the hard drive, if that's the case then it's definately the logic board or more precicely the ata controllers on it.

7. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Oh sh*t.

Output from Disk First Aid:
    Code:
    [b]Checking disk "Clean Machine".[/b]
    Checking "Mac OS Standard" volume structures.
    Checking wrapper system file.
    Checking "Mac OS Extended" volume structures.
    Checking for locked volume name.
    Checking extent BTree.
    Checking extent file.
    Checking catalog BTree.
    [b]Unable to read from disk.[/b]
    I'd take a gander and say I now have the world's most expensive doorstop. :(

8. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I'm beginning to lean towards that as well, especially since the stuff on the CD is so unresponsive, but given the Disk First Aid diagnosis, I'm not so sure. Question: is the ATA controller on the HD, or on the logic board. I want to know if I will be able to get anything off using FireWire TDM.

If this was the X-Ray... if they don't recompense me (or rather, my dad, since he took it on a trip which I didn't go on)... is it worth filing a lawsuit against them? I'd like to think we wouldn't have to, but given the economy, the airlines and airports need every penny they can get.

9. vniow macrumors G4

ATA controllers are on the LB, if the LB is f*cked, then I don't know if target disc mode would work, if it is indeed the drive, then you may have a chance.
    You could always take it apart and remove the drive manually, but that's only for people who know what the hell they're doing.[​IMG]

Not sure about that one, I remember somebody sayiong something about X-rays, airports and notebooks in another thread, I'll do a quick search and see if that had anything to do with it.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

If it comes down to a bad drive and you have no other options, call Drive Savers. They recovered all the files on one of my drives that went to drive heaven (or hell, as I like to think - burn out on me, will ya?).

http://www.drivesavers.com/

Dan

11. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

More info: well, it'll mount under TDM, and I can get data off it, thank goodness. Which, unfortunately means the LB is broken. Went to Disk Utility, and I can try to repair the disk. It does find an error in the "Checking Catalog File" step, specifically "Keys out of order" Unfortunately, it won't repair. It says it does, but the error happens again every time I click repair. Also, I'm not sure it's actually finishing the verify/repair, since after the error, there's only two lines of output: rebuilding B-Tree (I thought those were gone in X, what gives) and repair completee.

BTW, since when did Apple make HD's? Next to the drive size, where my main drive says IBM, the iBook's says AAPL. Or is that just because it's over a FW connection?

12. vniow macrumors G4

Glad to see you could get your data off of it.

It could easily be replaced, it just all depends on how much you want to pay, I've seen a few iBook logic boards end up on eBay, but then you'd either have to install them yourself or have somebody do it for you.

Or you could take it to an authorized dealer and have them fix it but that'll probably be even more expensive.

Good luck.

(and if you decide to have it repaired, let me know, I've taken apart notebooks before and replaced items so I know what I'm doing.........most of the time.[​IMG])

13. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Thanks, vniow. I'll see if I can get one off eBay.

Question: is Disk Utility anything more than a GUI for certain command line tools, like fsck? If so, I might have found at least part of the problem; to see just how much disk access I had, I decided to try and repair permissions on the disk... every owner and group in Disk Utility (and it looks like a few others too) is screwed up.

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

first of all, in order to do any kind of troubleshooting you are going to need to turn off journaling. when journaling is enable, which it is, you are unable to perform normal fsck operations.

sudo diskutil disableJournal /

then run an fsck and some hard disk utils.

15. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Actually you can run fsck, you just need the -f argument. That forces the check weather or not journaling is on. so the command would be "fsck -y -f" to force it and to repair any problems.