is my HD safe to use?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bill4588, Jan 31, 2007.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I spilled juice on my Macboook last week and I ended up having to get a new one the other night :( The logic board, heat sink, and airport card were ruined (and the cost of repair would have been more than a new computer so I just got a new one). About two weeks before I broke my MB, I installed a 120GB internal drive and put windows xp on it (not my choice...my Uni's). So now I have a brand new MB with a tiny 60GB HD, and I would like to install the 120GB HD I have from my broken computer, but I don't know if the drive is messed up too. I'm afraid my new computer will go up in smoke if I install it now, and I was going to wait until this weekend to take it up to an apple store and let them do it, but I really want all my data now! Is there any way I can tell if the drive is messed up? It looks fine to me. I noticed a little thing on it that cell phone batteries have which change color if liquid got on it, and this one is grey (doesn't it turn pink?). I know I SHOULD wait until the weekend, but if any of you know that it would be fine for me to do it now, I will!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Get yourself an externall SATA-USB case, put your juiced 120 drive in it.
    That way, there is no chance of damage to your new machine. If the 120 runs properly, then bonus.

3. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I would do that if I had to wait a while before I could get to an apple store, but I'd rather wait until this weekend instead of paying $50 to find out now. ;)