Is my ibook dead? Serious booting problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lapsus, Nov 28, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Two days ago my iBook G4 1Ghz started to have a big problem in turning it on: when I pushed the power button the fan started to whirl speedier than usual and nothing happened. The monitor stayed turned off and the startup "Boeing" did not sound.

I tried to reset the PMU and the PRAM several times and the iBook finally turned on (I still don't know why!!). I did a hardware test and no problems were detected.
    Then, I connected my connection Ethernet cable and the computer crashed down. Now I am in the same situation that I’ve just described: I can’t turn the computer on anymore and the fan starts wheeling.

I also showed this problem to a local Apple center and they told me that the motherboard is dead. I am still not convinced, because one time I have been able to restart the iBook.

What do you think? Is the motherboard really broken?

Thank you,
    Lap.

2. macrumors 6502a

Yes, the motherboard is dead.

3. macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Well, we don't know that it's dead for sure - it could be a number of other things, but the evidence certainly stacks in favour of the logic board being the faulty component, especially as the Apple Store told you too.

Have you got Applecare? If not, you're buggered. If so, problem solved!

If it really is toast and you have no Applecare, I suggest flogging it on eBay - you'll get quite a bit for all the parts or the faulty unit! Save for a new Macbook no?

4. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I really didn't even read all of your post when I came to the conclusion that your motherboard is about to die....get all important stuff off it as soon as you can...sorry pal.

Bless

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't have Applecare.. Anyway the iBook is almost 3 years old and time has come for it to be reselled as broken stuff on ebay.
    I think I'll buy a new MacBook, but I still don't know if is it worth to pay more for a 3-year warranty this time. Here in Switzerland, and I guess also by you, Applecare is pretty expensive.

Thank you for the replies!